Scopes for the Wizard

Value priced adult & youth top break handguns, rifles, & shotguns chambered for centerfire & rimfire cartridges as well as shotshells. These arms are offered as single chamberings as well as a Matched Pair, Pick Four combinations, Trifecta, & the Wizard.
morayman

Scopes for the Wizard

Post by morayman »

I want to do some long range shooting with my 45-70 Wizard.What kind of scopes and rings are you guys using? I was looking at the Nikon BDC series,but with the trajectory's of the 45-70 they may not work.Any other ones that can do the long shots? morayman.............
"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized
nation has full gun registration! Our streets will be safer, our police
more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future."
--Adolf Hitler, 1935.
Tuco Ramirez
500 Shots
500 Shots

Re: Scopes for the Wizard

Post by Tuco Ramirez »

Can't help you with the scope question but I can say welcome aboard on your 1st post!!!! Someone here can point you in the right direction.
When you have to Shoot; shoot, don't talk.......
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

I'm using a Leupold Ultralight 2-7x33mm scope on one of my Guide Guns with the Hornady 325 grain LEVERevolution FTX ammo and I'm sighted in for zero @ 200 yards and 6" high @ 100 yards.
200 yards is long range for a 45-70 which with conventional ammo usual has a garden hose trajectory.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I use the Bushnell Banner 1.5-4.5X32 (#71-1545) on all three of my Wizard barrels and have the same on my Single Shot Slug Gun. Will use the same on the 7.62X39 SS I just purchased as well. All of these are for hunting, with shots out to 200 yards, but if I bought anything else I would look at Bushnell first.
Michael
morayman

Post by morayman »

Thanks for the prompt replies,and the welcome to the forum! I won't be doing any hunting with mine,I'm a paper puncher.I'm aware of the artillery trajectory of this round and that was my concern,to get a scope and rings that would handle it the first time without buying one only to discover it won't do the job.morayman...................
--Adolf Hitler, 1935.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

I had burris work up some cutom stuff for my XTR they use to do this. I cannot say if they still do but if you have your heart set on a certain bullets and ammo, burris , Leupold and such can make somthing custom depending on your wallet. Contact them to your specs and get qoutes for your needs and balance good verses bad and cost versus your gain. I have shot at camp perry but never placed well enough to do anything compared to the talent that comes our way for the the f class a and such. My pockets are to weak to compete. :oops:
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
morayman

Post by morayman »

Well I found a scope for my new Wizard.I'd forgot that I had it,it's a 1.5-5 power Universal scope.I don't know if it's a piece of junk or not.The only markings it has are the name and "made in Japan" it looks nice and is a pretty heavy scope for it's size,so I'll see what it's made of when I mount it to my 45-70 Wizard! morayman.....
--Adolf Hitler, 1935.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

cool keep us posted and if able please post pics once its all set up. +corn
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

morayman wrote:I don't know if it's a piece of junk or not.
One way to find out and I'm sure the 45-70 will give it a good go! I suspect it is fine.

If you want to use the Rossi Single Shot Hammer Extension, you will need to use a set of "Extra High" rings to clear the eye bell of most scopes. The Single Shot rifle series uses High rings but the "W" needs a little more clearance.
Michael
morayman

Post by morayman »

If you want to use the Rossi Single Shot Hammer Extension, you will need to use a set of "Extra High" rings to clear the eye bell of most scopes. The Single Shot rifle series uses High rings but the "W" needs a little more clearance.
I had some see thru rings on it,so I'll just slap it on like that and see what happens! It does have nice clear glass in it.I'd forgotten I even had it,I don't remember what rifle it was on if any.If it breaks I won't be sad because it wasn't doing anything anyway.morayman............
--Adolf Hitler, 1935.