RD Venturing Into The Single Shots

Value priced adult & youth top break handguns, rifles, & shotguns chambered for centerfire & rimfire cartridges as well as shotshells. These arms are offered as single chamberings as well as a Matched Pair, Pick Four combinations, Trifecta, & the Wizard.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

RD Venturing Into The Single Shots

Post by Ranch Dog »

Started working with a couple of Single Shots! I've been missing out on some public drawing hunts near me on some very good property because they require slug guns be used. I also have some out of State opporutnities now as well that I want to take advantage of. I ran into a clearance deal on "new, old stock" at CDNN for a Rossi S12-50M which is a 12 Gauge Rifled Slug Gun and 50 Caliber Muzzleloader for $200. That is $70 less than I have seen anywhere else. The "anywhere else" rifles are newer with the synthetic stock but honestly I would rather have the wood. I will be loading my own, using the Lee home cast 7/8 and 1 oz slugs. Here is the product image but will get some better pictures as I finish up the rifle.
S12-50M_catalog.jpg
I'm finishing up a Tru-Oil finish on this matched pair right now and it is outstanding! My plans were to try to sell the muzzleloader barrel but I decided I would mess with it so I ordered the appropriate Lee REAL bullets to work with. When the general rifle season ends here on the ranch, there is a three week muzzleloader season that would allow me to at least fill any antlerless permits that haven't been used.

Finished a buy on GunBroker today for a R762MB. This too was a "new, old stock" rifle chambered in 7.62X39, a cartridge I wanted to work with. Same deal as the S12-50M, older rifle with the wood vs. synthetic stock. I wanted this barrel for my Wizard but they are tough to find. Ended up paying a bit more than I wanted ($315) but they sold new for $270 and where tough to find then so don't feel too bad about the deal. Another fellow wanted to sell me the complete Wizard rifle for $525 and while I was trying to talk him down another fellow bought it for his asking price. That, I didn't understand. Here is the product image, looks like any of the other single shot rifles.
762MB.jpg
Somehow I will come up with the a youth stock set for this rifle, probably will have one made to fit, as I plan on this being my grandsons first centerfire rifle.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
Tuco Ramirez
500 Shots
500 Shots

Re: RD Venturing Into The Single Shots

Post by Tuco Ramirez »

Someone has been a busy Bee...... :lol:

Next you will be building an ark with one of each rifle ever made. Hey do what you love.... life is short! Bet the grandson will love it since it came from grandpa!!
When you have to Shoot; shoot, don't talk.......
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Tuco Ramirez wrote:Someone has been a busy Bee...... :lol:

Next you will be building an ark with one of each rifle ever made. Hey do what you love.... life is short! Bet the grandson will love it since it came from grandpa!!
I own a fair number of rifles including a couple of single shot H&R/NEF Handi-Rifles (308 Win & 45-70) which are listed by Buffalo Bore as break-open actions capable of digesting their souped-up ammo.
Last time I counted I only have 2 hands so mother nature has set a practical limit on the number of guns I can own and use without a lot of expensive wallflowers & safe queens laying around collecting dust & rust.

But hey.....some people collect stamps and baseball cards so why not guns? :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Tuco Ramirez
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Tuco Ramirez »

You got that right Pricedo...... I can't complain I have what I need. Now I just have to wait for molds and that will come in time.

Ninety Caliber

Post by Ninety Caliber »

I understand completely! I recently tried my hand at long range big bore lever( my RG 45/70). Now I've got the itch to try long range single shot .....bpcr and am wondering what rifle to buy, H&R, Sharps, High Wall, Rolling Block , Trapdoor etc.
Pricedo , feel free to chime in ....followed your advise on the RG and was VERY happy!
N.C.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Tuco Ramirez wrote:You got that right Pricedo...... I can't complain I have what I need. Now I just have to wait for molds and that will come in time.
The Cuero division of the Texas National Guard. :lol:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Ninety Caliber wrote:I understand completely! I recently tried my hand at long range big bore lever( my RG 45/70). Now I've got the itch to try long range single shot .....bpcr and am wondering what rifle to buy, H&R, Sharps, High Wall, Rolling Block , Trapdoor etc.
Pricedo , feel free to chime in ....followed your advise on the RG and was VERY happy!
Apparently the triggers on the Rossi single shot (SS) rifles (Wizards) are superior to the ones in the factory H&R/NEF break-open rifles.
I picked the NEF SSs for 2 reasons 1) there were no equivalent Rossi SSs at the time & 2) the NEF had a good reputation for very strong actions (close to if not equal to the Ruger models 1 & 3).
The triggers aren't the greatest but they can be honed to be pretty decent.
Not a good idea to go hog wild on tinkering with triggers unless you do your research & know what your doing.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Tuco Ramirez
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Tuco Ramirez »

pricedo wrote:
Tuco Ramirez wrote:You got that right Pricedo...... I can't complain I have what I need. Now I just have to wait for molds and that will come in time.
The Cuero division of the Texas National Guard. :lol:

No doubt it qualifies as an Armory...... :lol: Might as well get the title while your at it.

akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Nice find that caliber in single shot or bolt action is on my list of must haves One of these days. Keep us posted
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!