Need Some Help from a Rossi .410/.22 Owner

Value priced adult & youth top break handguns, rifles, & shotguns chambered for centerfire & rimfire cartridges as well as shotshells. These arms are offered as single chamberings as well as a Matched Pair, Pick Four combinations, Trifecta, & the Wizard.
Jeff H
Founding Member
Founding Member

Need Some Help from a Rossi .410/.22 Owner

Post by Jeff H »

Hey, Guys,
Been a while but time has been tight for quite some time - no recreation for me. I know, a guy disappears and you don't hear from him until he needs something, right? :oops:

Well, the .357 carbine quest continues. Still have a 92 and it serves fairly well but still not exactly what I think I want. Tried a few H&Rs and none of that worked out as planned, so I have renewed the Rossi Single Shot .357 search again. STILL can't find one.

BUT, I have seen a few .22s for sale and one seller posted a pic that set the gears to turning again. A shot of the breech revealed that the .22 LR bore is off center to accommodate the rimfire firing pin (good thinking, Rossi). So, that means the firing pin from a rimfire frame will work with a centerfire.

What I am trying to determine is whether the rimfire frame is the same as the .410 frame. Would any of you know that?

The thought is to pick up a .22 LR and do a stubbed barrel in .357 Magnum. The obstacle at this point is not knowing whether the rimfire frame is suitable, although they do make a number of combos, which gives me hope.

Any insight would be a huge help as I have seen a couple of the .22s for $100 to $125 - just can't remember where and am now looking for them.

The H&Rs are just too clunky and heavy for this specific application. Great guns but not for this project. Been there several times and it's not working for me.

Thanks.

Jeff
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Need Some Help from a Rossi .410/.22 Owner

Post by Ranch Dog »

Jeff H wrote:What I am trying to determine is whether the rimfire frame is the same as the .410 frame. Would any of you know that?
Greetings Jeff, good to see you back here but understand other things going on. I really cannot answer your basic question about the frame but my concern in a rebore/rechamber is the 22 Rim Fire starting out off center to the longitudinal axis of the barrel. Rossi must not not think it matters.

I believe Model 52 has just acquired the pair so hopefully he will add some information that fits your needs. I had been thinking about buying one or getting the appropriate barrel for my Wizard but with your info will pass. I was wondering how on earth they did it but kind of disappointed in the solution.

I too have started looking for the Rossi 357B, single shot chambered in 357 Mag. I've written RossiUSA about the lack of a barrel for the Wizard despite it being cataloged since the introduction of the rifle but naturally, no reply. Customer Service just gives the old "they are on order" reply which is so tired. So, I too am tired of waiting and will snap up the first Single Shot I see. Not interested in the H&R, have owned them, but I wish Rossi has a little more interest in filling the demand for the Single Shots and Wizard.
Michael
Model 52
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Model 52 »

I have a match pair in .22LR and .410.

The .22LR barrel is indeed offset. The barrel itself is an insert pressed or screwed into a barrel stub that is offset.

Interestingly enough, the .410 barrel also uses an insert, although it appears the stub is chambered and the insert starts at the front of the chamber.

The frame obviously accommodates both barrels, but I've noted the barrel diameter on the .22LR and .410 is smaller, as it stops below the edge of the breech face, where the 20 ga and 12 ga barrels come up flush to the top of the action.

If I were going to do one in .357 in the absence of a barrel from Rossi, I'd probably have the barrel stub for a .410 "lined" with a .357 barrel.
Jeff H
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Jeff H »

Thanks, Michael. I have missed the company of this fine bunch. I was glad to see the site still going strong. I did update my location in my profile too per your request.

Model 52,
Wow! You're right in tune with the plan and knew what to look at and share. Thank you very much.

I see what you mean and I like the idea of going the .410 route. I PM'd a friend from another forum who had a similar thought and suggested a TJ's barrel liner. Track of the Wolf lists .356" groove liners for $5.39/inch.

This opens some possibilities. I wonder if anyone has ever tried to remove one of the .410 barrels from the chamber section to know if they are threaded, pressed or "loc-tited?"

You see, the way this works is that I will end up with $600 in a custom Rossi .357 Single Shot and then start finding them at garage sales and hole-in-the-wall gun shops for $75! :lol:
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Jeff H wrote:You see, the way this works is that I will end up with $600 in a custom Rossi .357 Single Shot and then start finding them at garage sales and hole-in-the-wall gun shops for $75! :lol:
You mean it isn't supposed to work this way :(
Michael