Wizard Revisited

Value priced adult & youth top break handguns, rifles, & shotguns chambered for centerfire & rimfire cartridges as well as shotshells. These arms are offered as single chamberings as well as a Matched Pair, Pick Four combinations, Trifecta, & the Wizard.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wizard Revisited

Post by Ranch Dog »

In another topic in this forum I wrote:
Ranch Dog wrote:It is ashame that Rossi doesn't take a bit more interest in this design as I feel, having owned three, that it is a better rifle than the H&R product. Everyone's big objection to the H&R is the trigger and if they shot a Wizard they would never go back to the H&R. From the get go, the Wizard is approximately $50 cheaper and the owner can change the barrels. What the H&R is offering is choice, there is a huge selection of calibers out there and they are available. Finally, Rossi needs to consider giving this rifle a more traditional stock comb. I could guarantee them that alone turns heads the wrong way at the start. Didn't mean to rant off the post subject but feel Rossi could be doing better!
The more I thought about this the more I realized that the Rossi Wizard is not competing against H&R products, that is the job of the Rossi Single Shots, the Wizard is competing against the Thompson Contender G2.

That's the G2, dang if a Wizard doesn't look like it even down to the 23" barrel!

When I started to compare the cartridge offerings, I had to move "up" a model to the Encore in order to compete with the Wizard. The Encore is apparently strong enough to offer the belted magnums and here is a cartridge comparison less the magnums.

Interesting that you can buy a Wizard and two barrels for less than the entry price of the TC. Now I'm not an idiot and know that the clock works of the TC is a fine machine and that TC owners would probably take exception to this comparison but hey, My Wizard shoots ragged holes at 100-yards so to me there is no difference.

I still hope that Rossi gets off the pot and makes the entire barrel lineup available, that is the promise of such a rifle, but when looking up prices I found that the TC is not doing any better.
Michael
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Re: Wizard Revisited

Post by mr surveyor »

I've wanted a three barrel set up for years to keep as an emergency "truck gun". My thought was a mid caliber rifle, preferably in .30-30, a .22 lr barrel and a 20 ga shotgun barrel (imp. cyl. choke). The soft bag for the gun set up would also hold something like ten rounds of birdshot and 5 rounds of #3 Buck, ten rounds of .30-30, and fifty rounds of .22 lr.

About ten years ago we bought the (then 10 yr old) grandson a Rossi Youth Combo in .22/.410 and he was in hog heaven. That little gun is still a great shooter, although he and his Dad lost the rear sight from the .22 barrel when the mounted a scope (I tried for nearly a year to get a replacement sight from Rossi - Braztec and finally gave up). Then, 5-6 years ago I experimented with a heavy fluted barrel H&R Varmint model rifle in .223. The trigger was terrible, as was the action .... it had to go back to the mothership for repair. That gun ended up being a real disappointment. I should have bought the Rossi.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!