R243MBS Problem

Value priced adult & youth top break handguns, rifles, & shotguns chambered for centerfire & rimfire cartridges as well as shotshells. These arms are offered as single chamberings as well as a Matched Pair, Pick Four combinations, Trifecta, & the Wizard.
singleshot92

Re: R243MBS Problem

Post by singleshot92 »

In my experience with break-open single shots, the most common reason for vertical stringing is inconsistent or consistently too long of a case at the shoulder. Break open actions are somewhat "springy" and most factory ammo is not consistently controlled in terms of shoulder position. Check out bellmtcs.com for more info on this VERY common problem. To make matters worse, most factory reloading dies don't deal well with this issue. I'd test fit a cartridge in your barrel with the extractor/ejector removed and measure how far the cartridge extrudes from the barrel, then measure the space between the barrel and frame. Pressure between the frame and cartridge will cause vertical stringing every time.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

singleshot92 wrote:In my experience with break-open single shots, the most common reason for vertical stringing is inconsistent or consistently too long of a case at the shoulder. Break open actions are somewhat "springy" and most factory ammo is not consistently controlled in terms of shoulder position. Check out bellmtcs.com for more info on this VERY common problem. To make matters worse, most factory reloading dies don't deal well with this issue. I'd test fit a cartridge in your barrel with the extractor/ejector removed and measure how far the cartridge extrudes from the barrel, then measure the space between the barrel and frame. Pressure between the frame and cartridge will cause vertical stringing every time.
Very interesting SS92. Having a Wizard in 44 Mag & 45-70 Govt, two straight walled cases, my experience with them is they hold an accuracy edge over the bottlenecked 7.62X39 in my Single Shot.

Once I have a 7.62x39 bullet to work with, I'm was going to start using the Lee Collet Sizing Die to minimize any change to the fire formed shoulder. Same with the CVA Hunter in 35 Rem but I already have the bullets for it so I will start immediately.
Michael
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

+corn I'm excited to see some results in this.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I did my shooting with the new CVA Hunter chambered in 35 Rem. At 100-yards it experienced very light vertical stringing with the factory ammo. So I have my fire formed brass and will run them through the Lee Collet Die next week to see if it improves their performance. This rifle shot very well right out of the box!
Michael
singleshot92

Post by singleshot92 »

RD,

I wish you well and am looking forward to your results. Neck-sizing only has worked very well for me in bolt actions, but not so in break-opens. The action seems to allow the shoulder to migrate forward too far, thus creating pressure upon closing. That's where a good FL sizing die comes in to bump the shoulder back each time. I'm not quite sure how the 35 rem shoulder will react given the size and angle.
+corn
Tuco Ramirez
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Tuco Ramirez »

singleshot92 wrote:In my experience with break-open single shots, the most common reason for vertical stringing is inconsistent or consistently too long of a case at the shoulder. Break open actions are somewhat "springy" and most factory ammo is not consistently controlled in terms of shoulder position. Check out bellmtcs.com for more info on this VERY common problem. To make matters worse, most factory reloading dies don't deal well with this issue. I'd test fit a cartridge in your barrel with the extractor/ejector removed and measure how far the cartridge extrudes from the barrel, then measure the space between the barrel and frame. Pressure between the frame and cartridge will cause vertical stringing every time.
SS92, Thank you for the link to bellmtcs. I started reading and discovered this is something that will take some time to digest.... Welcome to the family, pull up a stump and share your knowledge!
When you have to Shoot; shoot, don't talk.......
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

singleshot92

Post by singleshot92 »

Thanks, TR. I'll pass on any info I have. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any other peculiarities to loading break-open guns that don't apply to everything else as well. Certainly, if another topic sparks my memory or I think of something, I'll certainly share.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

This is very good info to have and we will all learn from it please to all invloved keepp us posted first of all RD I am looking forward to and neglegable reults for your rifle.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!