30-30

Value priced adult & youth top break handguns, rifles, & shotguns chambered for centerfire & rimfire cartridges as well as shotshells. These arms are offered as single chamberings as well as a Matched Pair, Pick Four combinations, Trifecta, & the Wizard.
Buckeye!

30-30

Post by Buckeye! »

Why no Rossi Single shot 30-30's
Model 52
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: 30-30

Post by Model 52 »

That's a good question. I am tempted by a reproduction 1885 Remington in .30-30 sitting in one of the local gunshots - the price is just a bit more than I want to pay.

On the other hand, I'd buy a Rossi single shot in .30-30, or .38-55 without a moment of hesitation. If they added a vintage look with a color case hardened receiver and a classic wood stock and forearm design, I'd be really thrilled.
Zippidydoodah

Post by Zippidydoodah »

Its all numbers on the spreadsheet what will sell most guns. I bought a .17 hmr but wanted the mach2. There aren't as many guns chambered for it and the cartridge has been out for 5+ years. It does 2/3 the speed at 1/2 the cost or less. Rossi probably won't make it either.
Zippidydoodah

Post by Zippidydoodah »

You could always buy a thompson contender in 30-30 with 20 or 23" or 16 or 14 or 10" barrel. They have good triggers too.i have even seen some ackley improved barrels on them.makes a nice light gun, almost too light.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Maybe they feel that the market is saturated with 30-30 offerings. Of course, I sure would buy one for my Wizard!
Zippidydoodah wrote:You could always buy a thompson contender in 30-30 with 20 or 23" or 16 or 14 or 10" barrel. They have good triggers too.i have even seen some ackley improved barrels on them.makes a nice light gun, almost too light.
I don't know the Thompson Center Contender models that well but the only 30-30 Win offered on Bud's is the G2 at $590. The Wizard does look like the G2 but the Wizard is $214 to $239 depending on the barrel choice. You could have the W with three barrels for the entry price of the G2. Is there a more basic TCC?
Michael
crashphoenix

Post by crashphoenix »

Probably because they already offer a 30/30 lever action. I'd also venture a guess that's why there isn't a single shot 45/410 since they have the Circuit judge. Why have people buy the less expensive option when they'll but one that costs more.
I carry a gun because a Cop is too heavy
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Makes some sense but fellows that really want a SS 30-30 will go elsewhere.
Michael
Zippidydoodah

Post by Zippidydoodah »

They used to offer 45/410 along with 357, 44 mag and other single shots. I think when they made decision to bring out the wizard, they dropped a lot of other offerings. I personally like the single shot concept. It is lighter, about 5" shorter than same barrel length in a repeater, and much simpler design.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Zippidydoodah wrote:They used to offer 45/410 along with 357, 44 mag and other single shots. I think when they made decision to bring out the wizard, they dropped a lot of other offerings. I personally like the single shot concept. It is lighter, about 5" shorter than same barrel length in a repeater, and much simpler design.
My thoughts are that the Single Shot line competes with the H&R series and the Wizard the TC Encore. The problem for Rossi is that both models ended up competing with each other among the Rossi customers and did not entice anyone away from H&R or TC.

Single Shot barrels are alive and well on eBay. Here is a 45 Colt/.410 barrel that closes today: eBay Single Shot Barrel

I've watched a lot of barrels on eBay but not bought any as they end up going for more than I think they are worth. I have not seen a 45 Colt barrel before, so it will be interesting to see what it closes at. The main thing here, in that most sellers don't get the difference, is the question of whether it is a Youth rifle barrel or a full length barrel. The lug spacing is what is important. I've also noticed that most sellers cannot tell you if the barrel is for a Single Shot or Wizard so the lug is important. Most are 22LR or shotgun barrels but once in a while something interesting comes up.
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Ranch Dog wrote:My thoughts are that the Single Shot line competes with the H&R series and the Wizard the TC Encore. The problem for Rossi is that both models ended up competing with each other among the Rossi customers and did not entice anyone away from H&R or TC.
Rossi probably thought that the competition was to stiff in the 30-30 department with the millions of Winchester 94s & Marlin 336s out there. Still see a fair number of Savage model 170 pump action 30-30s here & there......good dependable rifles and as fast shooting as a semi-automatic.

From my reading on this and other forums and from anecdotal canvassing of other shooters & hunters Rossis lack of momentum in acquiring market share from Marlin, H&R, Mossberg, T/C , etc. is due to the outstanding & well known quality control issues.
Most hunters/shooters just want to buy a gun & go hunting/shooting without enganging in an ongoing battle to make the brand new product they just purchased work much less deal with a company that is less than forthcoming & helpful. I hear a lot about the crappy factory sights on the Rossi 92s. Having to replace the sights on a new gun right from the getgo is not a good welcome mat.
My feeling is that the Rossis are looked on as weekend noise makers, junk guns, curiosities & toys & for serious hunting/shooting applications customers are sticking with the mainstream brands I just mentioned especially now that the mainstream guns are generally less expensive than the equivalent Rossi guns.
After the Remington takeover Marlin rifles were junk but now Marlin has smartened up and the Remlins I have handled off the racks deserve to be called Marlins again.
You can buy bolt action rifle/scope packages from Savage, Remington, Marin, Weatherby, Mossberg that shoot MOA NIB for less than $500 and the Mossberg 464 Winchester 94 clone works right out of the box each & every time and is now cheaper than the Rossi 92s.
When's Rossi going to take the hint?
If Marlin revives the 1894 line and the out of box quality is similar to the newest 336s & 1895s & the price is equal or less than the Rossi 92s the Rossi rifles will be dead in the water if their quality control & reputation doesn't improve SOON.
Steve Young of Steve's Gunz has made a thriving business based on Rossi's lack of quality control but even he has not paid a lot of attention to the outstanding forearm relief issues with the Rossi 92s. Seems that nobody even wants to talk about that. :mrgreen:
No matter how deep you bury your heads in the sand the truth remains the truth.
It is what it is.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA