Hunt for the Rio Grande

Rossi's latest and past big game rifle based on the 336 frame!
GRV01
250 Shots
250 Shots

Hunt for the Rio Grande

Post by GRV01 »

So ive been hunting for a blued Rio Grande in 410 for weeks now and no one has them. Every site i can find is sold out, except one guy on Gun Broker witha NIB RG that he wants to sell for $500 plus $40 shipping

I was really hoping i wouldnt have to wait for "hunting season" (which one??) like the Braztech rep told me for new 410s out of the factory but alas that may be it

The search (or the wait) continues
No thin chicks
Currently reloading: 38 SPL, 357 MAG
Rossi's Owned: M92 .357 20"(Owned by Wifey: M92 .357 16")
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Hunt for the Rio Grande

Post by Ranch Dog »

My guess is that you will have a long wait.
Michael
GRV01
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by GRV01 »

Ranch Dog wrote:My guess is that you will have a long wait.
Yeah im afraid of that. Finally got in touch with another store that has one.

$510 *gasp*

Whatbtroubles me is thats what i paid for my R92 and i didnt bat an eye. Was happy to even. But to pay that much for an RG whih is less than $400 MSRP and is doubtless going to be atleast ad likely ad everyone elses to be a problem gun (which may or may not be the case with new from factory 2017 models)

Any advice?
No thin chicks
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

GRV01 wrote:Any advice?
I think I would rather wait than pay that but that can only be your call. I think when KY Guns had the blems early last year the 410s were $250. Of course, they are gone now but that makes them a bitter pill to swallow at $500+. Yeah, they are not worth it.
Michael
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Yea that's to much for a lever shotgun that may not even work and may have no parts to get it fixed. If you want a lever shotgun might stick with the 1897 12 gauge lever gun. they are still being imported. Or get a Mossberg 410 pump 299 dollars at time. Keep in mind these have had their fair share of issue working correctly as well. the 1897 I mean.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
GRV01
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by GRV01 »

Well I'm over the 410 bug thankfully, so I wont buy anything chambered for it in the near future; trying to get into reloading and already the thought of expanding into another caliber isn't appealing

Having said that though, I really, really want a 45-70. As soon as "hunting season" comes around (whatever that means to Rossi, as that's when they said RG's would be available this year) Im going to try to nail one down

as a brief aside, just noodling over reloading for 45-70 im a bit puzzled, its a rifle round but straight walled rimmed which begs the question if its treated more like a pistol round or a bottle necked rimless....?
No thin chicks
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

GRV01 wrote:as a brief aside, just noodling over reloading for 45-70 im a bit puzzled, its a rifle round but straight walled rimmed which begs the question if its treated more like a pistol round or a bottle necked rimless....?
I really don't understand your concern. I reload 28 different cartridges, 218 Bee through 45-70 Govt, and I treat them all the same.
Michael
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

4570 is a very universal round. It can be loaded hot with anchor rounds that are super heavy. It can be loaded down and shot with light bullets. It is a wonderful cartridge that has spanned decades because of this. Follow published load data, and test in small batches until you find a load your gun is accurate with and is capable for your purposes. Don't forget to keep us posted as you go.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

You will load .45-70 like .45-70.

I know it sounds like a smart rear ended remark and to some extent it is, BUT it is very accurate.
As akuser47 states: follow the published recipes.
You'll use a 3 or 4 die set, sizer/decap, expand, seat and crimp. I'm a big fan of the Lyman M expanders especially for straight walled cartridges double especially for cast bullets and buy them to replace the standard expanders. Lee Factory Collet Crimp dies are popular. Unlike many handgun dies you will be using a steel sizer and will need to lubricate the cases prior to sizing.

Same basic steps as any other cartridge with a tiny bit more care than most handgun brass because the case necks will be thin and the cases are long. You can ding the case mouths pretty easy if you aren't careful handling, trimming and especially chamfering.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

The question makes plenty of sense and I'm not sure why we have to act like it's odd but the answers are all above. Just because a good bit more than the majority out there makes loading decisions based upon the "cartridge racism" question of straight wall pistol or bottleneck rifle doesn't mean you have to. If you really must then treat it like a rifle pressure pistol round. :)
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.