Low Cost - No Cost way to reduce recoil of .45-70 RG

Rossi's latest and past big game rifle based on the 336 frame!
Arroyoshark
250 Shots
250 Shots

Low Cost - No Cost way to reduce recoil of .45-70 RG

Post by Arroyoshark »

While I had mentioned this some time ago in a thread post, thought I'd follow up with photo.

The Rossi RG45-70 is a pretty light weight carbine. I originally got it because it felt like one that could be carried and brought to shoulder pretty quickly. From the get go, I realized I'm perhaps not as steeled up to the recoil from heavier loads that say Ranch Dog might be, so yeah the recoil bothered me to the point of developing an accuracy robbing flinch on subsequent firings. Not so good for me.

I just chose not to deal with fitting limbsavers, pachmayr pads, etc. Instead, I noted early on that there was a stiffening rib molded down the vertical center of the Rossi recoil pad. That darned rib really was good at preventing the pad from flexing and absorbing some recoil headed for the shoulder.

I took a drill bit of approximately the same size as the honeycomb openings on side of pad and simply drilled through the rib in each cavity to reduce the effect of that rib. Voila, that was one of the slickest improvements to this carbine. It significantly reduces the painful blow to the shoulder when firing heavy loads. It doesn't eliminate the recoil generated by this round, but it really feels better to the shoulder.

It's a free fix !
IMG_20160904_141303382_HDR.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
When sitting down to clean a gun, the first step is to load another gun - Elmer Keith
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Low Cost - No Cost way to reduce recoil of .45-70 RG

Post by Ranch Dog »

Another great fix. I've see this being done to the 454 Casull's pad.
Michael
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

X-Acto makes a narrow flat chisel point blade that might do a cleaner job of punching out the rib without tear out a drill might cause...
Number 17 I think

Arroyoshark
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Arroyoshark »

I can see where that might be a cleaner method. I probably also could have run a file in there as well, after drilling out to clean up the fuzz. On the other hand, this was quick relief.
When sitting down to clean a gun, the first step is to load another gun - Elmer Keith