Rio Grande Receiver Problem

Rossi's latest and past big game rifle based on the 336 frame!
Joel

Rio Grande Receiver Problem

Post by Joel »

Hello Gentlemen.

I have a Rossi Rio Grande 30-30. The action was not particularly smooth, so I pulled the lever and bolt to do some deburring. In the bottom of the bore where the bolt rides, there was a chip hanging where the bore is paper thin. One touch with a pick and it fell right off. The center area underneath comes right up to that bore.
So, the main question - Is the casting too thin in this area or the bore machined incorrectly and this is a real problem, or do I just lightly deburr the edge (which appears very thin underneath, so it will be drawn further back a currently unknown amount) and move on?

Here is a link to the owners manual with an exploded view:
http://www.rossiusa.com/pdf/Rossi_Manual_Rio_Grande.pdf

Second question; the rounded machined top of the locking bolt (part 14 in the exploded view) shows pretty serious marks from being poorly machined
(sorry, couldn't get a good picture and haven't taken it apart yet). Should I try to smooth this just a touch, more than a touch, or?

Thanks for the help! I imagine I will have more questions when I get around to tearing the whole thing apart, which judging from what I have found so far, will unfortunately be necessary.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Rio Grande Receiver Problem

Post by Ranch Dog »

Greetings and welcome to the forum.

Overall, I think your rifle is fine. I would dress the failed area with round files so that is doesn't cause the bolt to bind as it slide back and forth. Your locking bolt looks fine to me. Here is mine.
locking_bolt.jpg
The flash didn't go off on with the picture above, I will get a better picture this evening at the same angle so that you can see that the locking bolts are the same.

Yes, I would take the action apart and clean it. I would want to make sure all the debris from the failure is found and removed. There are no worries about the support of the receiver, probably just a ruff spot that they should have addressed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
Joel

Post by Joel »

Thanks Ranch Dog.
I can take a curved pick and feel that the center area is paper thin for more than 1/4" of depth and maybe more (towards the rear of the gun), so when I smooth that edge it will be impossible not to make it into a slot. It would seem obvious there is not a slot there on anyone else's and that there should be at least a little more material in that area. OTOH, I do not currently see why it would negatively affect the function.
The top of the lock lug (the curved parts) look like they were machined with a dull cutter at a ridiculously high feed rate, which I was unable to capture in the picture. More disappointing than a real problem, I guess.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Well, not sure what to tell you. In that the rifles have been out of production for several years if you were to send it in I suspect that it might end up in limbo and not returned, have had a couple of case of that among the members here.

You might talk via chat with Rossi to see what they offer.
Michael
Joel

Post by Joel »

My chat with Rossi was disappointing at best. I have sent an email in sincere hopes that a gunsmith will take a look. We will see what transpires.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Please don't take offense to my coming comment, but I think your making a mountain out of a mole hill. For the cost of these guns I know it's frustrating to see them not always perfect but look at the cost. I would say shoot it watch your brass for any sign of issues and see if she is worth the send or the keep. I would also say even with the defect you might have a nail driver you send off and never see again. I wish you luck either path you decide, but try her first b4 you decide to send her she will still have warranty even after range test. You might find your a Carlos Hathcock (white feather) with your gun. Keep us posted +corn
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!