Brand New RG4570 Lever Jam

Rossi's latest and past big game rifle based on the 336 frame!
KG4570

Brand New RG4570 Lever Jam

Post by KG4570 »

Hello, I am looking for some help with an issue on a brand new unfired Rio Grande 45/70. I just received it in the mail 2 days ago and was looking it over today. I cycled the lever a few times (empty) and it was very smooth, then on the 3rd it jammed up at about 10-15 degrees out from the stock. I removed the lever to see if I could see anything jammed or stuck but nothing is obvious. I called Braztech/Rossi in Florida for advice and they asked me to wiggle and shake it while trying to open the lever. After numerous failed attempts they suggested I send it in for inspection. As I am in Canada they pointed out it would need ship to Quebec to a company called Snapshots. My preference is to figure out the issue on my own rather than ship it off so I plan to break it down tonight. My question is, has anyone ever experienced this problem and if so what caused the problem?

Thank you for your help, any and all advice/guidance is appreciated.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Brand New RG4570 Lever Jam

Post by Ranch Dog »

Any 336 based action can lock up if it is tilted from the horizontal as the locking bolt is held clear of the moving parts by gravity. The will usually happen when a shooter starts the bolt back and decides to look in the ejection port by tilting the rifle on its side, port up. The locking bolt is just a big block of steel that should drop straight down by its own weight as soon as the bolt is released. If it doesn't, the bolt gets caught against it.

With the rifle in position, the receiver upright and square to the horizon, the locking bolt probably cannot drop free because the bolt is now bound against the hammer. The bolt cannot move forward because the hammer has not continued on its radiused movement to the "cocked" position and in fact is probably forcing the tail end of the bolt upward binding it against the receiver.

How you fix this is lift upward on the tail of the bolt and fully cock the hammer. Now, the bind should be off the bolt and the locking bolt should drop free as the lever is moved to fully open the bolt.

All this is from you description of the lever position. Some photos sure would help me if this doesn't work.
Michael
KG4570

Post by KG4570 »

Thanks for the detailed and valuable information! Just to clarify my post; the bolt is still in the closed position and hammer was never pushed back, it basically locked up during the start of the cycle 10-15 degrees from the start. This will likely make it a bit more difficult to tear down.

I am attaching a picture for reference.

Thanks for your help.
image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
KG4570

Post by KG4570 »

Based on your info and reviewing the assembly drawing it would seem that the locking block must be stuck. I will investigate and update. Thanks again!
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by klr »

Does that model have the lock in the hammer like the R92 model? If so, wonder if that's causing the problem.
KG4570

Post by KG4570 »

Yes it has the Taurus Security System on the hammer but it was dis-engaged at the time.

The jam has been fixed thanks to input from Ranch Dog and spending some time with it. The problem was that the locking bolt did not drop down to release the breech bolt so the pressure of trying to open it just had it jammed up. One would think that I should have been able to re-close the lever at that point but it would not budge in either direction. I will be cleaning and polishing a few things up and it should be good to go! I am looking very forward to letting some lead fly out of this beauty.

A big Thanks to Ranch Dog for his advice and knowledge!

Cheers,
KG
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

KG4570 wrote:A big Thanks to Ranch Dog for his advice and knowledge!
You're welcome and thank you klr for pitching in. Great point on the TSS!
Michael
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by klr »

Glad to hear it worked out. I'll have to remember that locking bolt info.

Now we'll look forward to a range report. +guns