Is the Rio Grande really out of production now?

Rossi's latest and past big game rifle based on the 336 frame!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Is the Rio Grande really out of production now?

Post by Ranch Dog »

Yeah, that is an outstanding price. Is this a 30-30 Win?
Michael
Deleted User 2826

Post by Deleted User 2826 »

V/R
Buck
Last edited by Deleted User 2826 on 07 Jul 2016 04:06, edited 1 time in total.
Arroyoshark
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Arroyoshark »

Perhaps Ranch Dog should edit the description of the Rio Grande sub-forum to now read,

"Rossi's late big game rifle offering chambered in 30-30 Win, 45-70 Govt., and a .410 scattergun!"

;)
When sitting down to clean a gun, the first step is to load another gun - Elmer Keith
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Arroyoshark wrote:Perhaps Ranch Dog should edit the description of the Rio Grande sub-forum to now read,

"Rossi's late big game rifle offering chambered in 30-30 Win, 45-70 Govt., and a .410 scattergun!"

;)
That's a good idea! Could say the same with the Single Shot & Wizard forum. For as little activity as their are on both, I also thought about just creating a new forum out of the two for "Out of Production Series".
Michael
Arroyoshark
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Arroyoshark »

Well, there is a large element of self interest in my reply, but I've had the RG.45-70 for a few years. It had teething problems as many others have discovered. I got frustrated, set it aside, went on to other projects for a while. Now, it interests me again. I'm working through its reliability issues, and am gleaning as much info on that from these threads as I might find.

I have found RG's for sale currently at three online sites, including Buds. There will be some ongoing interest for a while, I'd think. It's unfortunate Rossi shorted on quality manufacture of this model. Some parts are done nicely, but overall it seems sloppy. I'd like to see a unique sub-forum on the RG for a while longer. I was being tongue-in-cheek yesterday.

So far I have made better a very sticky operating firing pin by relieving the cut for the retaining pin. It now moves as easily as the one in a late 70's Marlin 1894, that meaning it works. I am still experiencing problems with consistent hammer fall, but now, physically, the only part that could interfere is the stoopit cross bolt safety. Possibly the retaining ball or spring is either loose or the spring too weak to keep the safety bolt from bouncing a slight amount to the right under recoil that it blocks the hammer on the next round. Next step is to simply remove it and go back to range. If that solves it, then I will go to the link mentioned in an older thread on this sub forum about the safety delete saddle ring part. I will continue to report my late term findings on this.

So, I think this is still a valid stand alone sub forum for a while - at least from my perspective. Thanks !
When sitting down to clean a gun, the first step is to load another gun - Elmer Keith
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

IF Rossi bothered to work the bugs out and IF they were still a production item I think I'd have been looking hard at getting the .45-70 in SS. .30-30 Winchesters and Marlins can still be had at pretty reasonable prices on the used market if you look around a bit. When I investigated the Rio Grande the problems were varied enough, frequent enough and serious enough that I decided to either wait and/or inspect the heck out of them before buying. While I was waiting they discontinued production.
GRV01
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by GRV01 »

The latest 2017 Rossi catalog lists Rio Grandes as a seasonal item whatever that means
No thin chicks
Currently reloading: 38 SPL, 357 MAG
Rossi's Owned: M92 .357 20"(Owned by Wifey: M92 .357 16")
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

GRV01 wrote:The latest 2017 Rossi catalog lists Rio Grandes as a seasonal item whatever that means
Only way to know is to just see what happens.
Michael
GRV01
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by GRV01 »

Ranch Dog wrote:
GRV01 wrote:The latest 2017 Rossi catalog lists Rio Grandes as a seasonal item whatever that means
Only way to know is to just see what happens.
Well spoke with customer service through rhe little chat box and now im confused because yesterday the nice girl told me Rio Grandes in 410 are smoothbore and today im told theyre rifled

But that aside she said "seasonally available" means hunting season. When asked which she said depends on where i live. So there's that.

Gotta love Rossi/Braztech
No thin chicks
Currently reloading: 38 SPL, 357 MAG
Rossi's Owned: M92 .357 20"(Owned by Wifey: M92 .357 16")