RG questions

Rossi's latest and past big game rifle based on the 336 frame!
Bearcat55

RG questions

Post by Bearcat55 »

Hello all. Have been thinking of getting an RG in 30-30 for whitetail & general purposes. Stopped at my favorite emporium at lunch to check on availability and see if any used 336's might be in the rack. Saw one 336 which had a horrible recoil pad installed- for just over $400. This shop is very fair on prices, so thinking it must just be state of the market up here. So the decision is made, Rossi it will be- and not disappointed either. But none available through their wholesalers. So first question is does availability cycle with massive shipments all at once, or is there some glitch in production maybe? How often do they ship a batch?

Second question, how shiny is the stainless? Was hoping not too shiny, although shiny would be nice if blued. Just my preference.

Did find an answer elsewhere here about what would have been my 3rd question- receiver sights behind the Weaver rail. Anyhow, good thing I have some time before I'll really need one of these!
Thanks! -BC
zippy
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: RG questions

Post by zippy »

Howdy from South Carolina, and welcome to the forum.

The stainless on the octagon barrel 92 is a high polish on the receiver and dull, unpolished, on the barrel.

Here's a new one on Buds web site.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/prod ... s_id/61515

Looked at a Hi-resolution photo on Rossi's web site. Looks like a dull barrel on the RG.

Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Welcome to the forum! As you shop keep in mind that Rio Grande was discontinued at the end of 2014. What you see as stock is what remains.

KY Gun Co also has some blems left. Most of the comments here on the forum from those that have bought through this source is that they cannot find the blems.

I own three Rio Grandes and think they are good rifles. Not hand fitted like the JM Marlins, nothing made now are in the future will be made like that again at this price point. They are definitely a better build the initial Remington Marlins but Remington has & is learning what it takes to build a good rifle. Rossi never took advantage of the position during all this leveraction change and could have ended on top.

As far as I know there are no options concerning your interest with the Weaver base, nothing to get a receiver sight behind the scope. For my Marlin 444T, I wanted what you described so I bought the Williams Ace in the Hole.

Unfortunately it didn't work out. The eye bell of the scope would not clear the receiver sight. It would have taken extra high rings and I doubt that would have worked. While on the subject of the Weaver base. Make sure your rifle arrives with one as they have never been offered as a stand alone product. In other words, there are no replacements.

Skinner does offer a really nice receiver mounted sight. It does occupy the scope base holes. Yes, it is offered in Stainless.

Michael
Bearcat55

Post by Bearcat55 »

Thanks for both replies. RD, I seriously missed they were out of production! Now I am bummed. These are still listed in the low $300 range new from Davidson's, and quoted a couple bucks less than their Davidson's price at the store itself. Must have been a closeout pricing but noted as such. No wonder there is such a discrepancy in prices around.

As to the receiver sight I had wondered about the Williams AIH, then saw here your suggestion for the XS low backup ghost ring. But now just as soon as I thought I had it all figured out I get to start over again. I really appreciate the help, so now I have to get clever to see what I can get my hands on. Thanks again. -BC