Anybody convert a Rio to straight stock?

Rossi's latest and past big game rifle based on the 336 frame!
Droopybassets2

Anybody convert a Rio to straight stock?

Post by Droopybassets2 »

Hello all, I've been seriously considering a blued 30-30 Rio Grande but I cannot get past the pistol grip. Has anybody ever done a straight grip conversion like people do for the Marlin 336? If I could get that with a ladder sight like the early Wnchester 94s it would be my 100% ideal modern lever action. +guns
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Anybody convert a Rio to straight stock?

Post by Ranch Dog »

Welcome to the forum! Seems I remembered one fellow doing it but you would need to search for the topic.
Michael
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

I think it was done but its not something you can buy then put on its gonna take wood working skills I doubt I'd attempt.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Friend on mine who makes all of the stocks for his flinters says it isn't difficult. You take a log and cut everything away the doesn't look like gun :lol: . Easy for him he's probably done 20 or so in the years I've know him.

make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

You sure make sound simple I like that.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

He sometimes literally starts with a log. I'm not sure I'd try it with a pre-cut blank. To afraid I'd screw up and ruin an expensive blank.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by klr »

It's not that hard to make a straight stock. Take a piece of masking tape and run it from the front of the stock to the butt. This will give you a straight line. Cut off the pistol grip by following the tape. Get close, but don't touch it. Then take a straight piece of wood and glue sandpaper on it. Sand the bottom of the stock until it's nice and straight and touches your tape.
Reinstall on your rifle and scribe a line on the bottom tang. Grind, file, sand this until it's even with the stock. Cold blue.

Now round over the bottom of the stock until it looks right. Once it's perfect, walk away and come back the next day. Sand again until it looks perfect. Walk away.

Finish touching up the sanding. This time it should be right. Tru Oil time.

On my Marlin the lever was like butter. I held it upside down on a flat surface and tapped it with a hammer to straighten it. Get a thick piece of steel and put it in the loop. Hammer on this to straighten the inner surfaces. It helps to have a helper hold the lever.

Good luck. Remember: With something like this, dread is harder than work. ;)