help zeroing scoped 30-30

Rossi's latest and past big game rifle based on the 336 frame!
ned3030

help zeroing scoped 30-30

Post by ned3030 »

Im having trouble zeroing in my scoped RG 30-30. To this day I dont know where its hitting. I used a laser bore sight tool (~ 25 yards) and adjusted scope to line up with dot. When I fire at similar distance targets im not even on the paper and dont know where its hitting. Wasting lots of pricey ammo. Any ideas or tips?

From reading around it sounds like these guns hit about a foot high at 100 yards. Guessing this may be the problem and planning to adjust scope accordingly next time I take it out. Im using 150 gr rounds.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: help zeroing scoped 30-30

Post by Ranch Dog »

I think the only option would to be closer when you take your initial shot, say 10 yards.

I shoot a lot of scoped rifles for the first time, just did a bolt gun today for a fellow that was having problems. I start by placing the scope against a mirror to make sure the crosshairs are in the middle of the tube. If you are seeing a double image of crosshairs, adjust the turrets to bring them together. With this done, I mount the scope.

Honesty, I prefer the old grid bore sighter to the laser. I have both but simple prefer the 54 year old unit that I started with. I have chased bullet holes with both and I have experienced what you have. Not sure why, but I've said to heck with it and walked up to a point five yards and shot. Make every bullet count but don't continue or touch anything until you get a hole.

You said you lasered in at 25 yards but you didn't quite say that you shot it at 25 yards. All my shooting starts there, no matter what, and then on 50, 100, & 200. Personally, if three bullet holes cannot be covered or connected by a quarter at 25 yards I'm not going any further out until I figure out why.
Michael
ned3030

Post by ned3030 »

I'll give that a try. Cant wait to get it dialed in. Would you suggest a 100 yard zero?

Ps since I dont have a range finder I figure I was roughly shooting at similar distance as that of the laser bore sight job.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

ned3030 wrote:I'll give that a try. Cant wait to get it dialed in. Would you suggest a 100 yard zero?[/img]
I would, I actually sight all my rifles in at that distance. Lever and bolt guns alike.
Ps since I dont have a range finder I figure I was roughly shooting at similar distance as that of the laser bore sight job.[/quote]
If it was me and it was not hitting where I laser sighted it. I would pull it all off and start over at the "mirror zero" trick I mentioned.
Michael
ned3030

Post by ned3030 »

Great suggestion! I centered the scope using the mirror method and then started close (~ 12 yards). Since im a noob on adjusting the scope it took me 16 shots to get the windage set. Shot a group of 3, adjusted, shot another group of 3 then realized I adjusted the wrong direction, backtracked and made additional adjustment and fired another group...eventually was dead on windage-wise. I'll save the elevation adjustments for another day. Shoulder got too sore.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

ned3030 wrote:Great suggestion! I centered the scope using the mirror method and then started close (~ 12 yards). Since im a noob on adjusting the scope it took me 16 shots to get the windage set. Shot a group of 3, adjusted, shot another group of 3 then realized I adjusted the wrong direction, backtracked and made additional adjustment and fired another group...eventually was dead on windage-wise. I'll save the elevation adjustments for another day. Shoulder got too sore.
Good deal! You're on the right track!
Michael
GreenWolf70

Post by GreenWolf70 »

You can take a ballistics program and work out the zero at the distance you want, and then walk it back to 25 yards and use the difference to mark your zero target. So if you want to set your zero at say 200 yards and you look at where the bullet is above zero at 25 yards (usually about 2" high), you can mark your target that height above your aiming point on the 25 yard target. Then it is simple to adjust to where you aim at the bullseye and the bullets hit the adjusted mark. That is a method to get you on the paper at your longer zero range. I like those 1/2" grid targets as they take out some of the guess work about distance/clicks to adjust.
Jaybm
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Jaybm »

Printable Zeroing Targets for consideration.

http://home.comcast.net/~j_colt123/50%2 ... 20Zero.pdf

The one I like, of course after 25 yards a good spotting scope is a must if
your eyes are like mine. Well your rifle scope would probably do. I use a Red Dot.

Shoot & See or Dirty Bird splattering targets are a must for plinking.

Jim
Gun Control Means Hitting The Target +guns
ned3030

Post by ned3030 »

Very cool - thanks for the target!

Also will try out the ballistics program idea! Sounds like a quick way to getterdun. Thinking i'll do a 100 yard zero. At my 12x scope zoom the sight pic is tiny!