stock too short?

Rossi's latest and past big game rifle based on the 336 frame!
ned3030

stock too short?

Post by ned3030 »

Hi all. New to the forum. I have a RG 30-30. Was wondering if anyone else is having problems with the short stock length on the RG, and ways to overcome it for comfortable shooting. I have a vortex scope mounted on mine and have it positioned as far forward as possible for max eye relief, but not so far that the rear iron sight is touching the scope. What im finding is once in a while the recoil is sending the scope into my eye protection (doesnt feel so nice - lol). Is it just me or does this thing have a kiddie stock? My arms arent that long (average). Or is my rifle form bad? Maybe I need to keep my head as far back as possible. I was thinking of some type of stock slip on to add a inch or 2... or folding up a towel and draping it over my shoulder for some extra offset. Anyhow its not like I cant shoot the thing, just dont want to catch the scope with my face ever again. :cry:

Thanks
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: stock too short?

Post by Ranch Dog »

Welcome to the forum ned. I have three of the RGs and I'm a big guy (6'3" ~ 235#) and don't consider them short in length of pull. In fact the fit is one reason I favor the RG over my Marlin and Win.

The length of pull in the specs says that it is 14" but I haven't measured it but have always considered it comfortable to shoot because it is longer than both my Marlins and Win. The Marlin 336 or 1895 and the M94 Win various models average about 13 1/2" across the offerings.

It sounds like you are letting the length of the scope against the front sight dictate the focal length of your setup. The focal length should really be the a distance just short of the maximum length between your eye and the eye bell that delivers a full sight picture with with your cheek on the comb of the stock. It might mean that you will need to remove the rear sight or use a scope of shorter length. The third option is to use higher rings to clear the front sight but I favor keeping the scope as low to the bore as possible but the comb height vs. cheek weld has a vote on this as well.
Michael
ned3030

Re: stock too short?

Post by ned3030 »

Thanks for the info. I'll plan on removing the rear sight so I can move the scope forward more.