Ejection Cylce Jam

Rossi's latest and past big game rifle based on the 336 frame!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Ejection Cylce Jam

Post by Ranch Dog »

In the video, on the initial stroke the hammer is forward and the cycle is normal. All the other cycles are with the hammer back in the cocked position. Is that the only time it happens? In other words, you would not normally operate the lever when the hammer is cocked.

My assumption is that it does as the hammer would be forward when trying to extract spent cartridges. In this condition, with a spent cartridge, can you press the side of the bolt as you did and get the bolt to then move?

Are both screws in the bolt flush? What about the ejector and the track it follows. In that you are pushing opposite the ejector, it is almost as if it is pushing or binding against the bolt.

Another idea is the Locking Bolt. It should be slick as a whistle as nothing is connected to it. It depends on gravity to fall once the lever is out of the way. If it is sticking due to rough edges or surface, it might hang up and prevent further movement. It also saddles the lever and might cause it to appear that the lever is the culprit. Same with the carrier. All these parts just drop free that is why often a 336 will not feed if it is canted to the side.

Sorry if you have considered any of the above as I'm just trying to pitch ideas now that I've seen the point at which it is binding.
Michael
pellicle

Post by pellicle »

Hi
Ranch Dog wrote:In the video, on the initial stroke the hammer is forward and the cycle is normal. All the other cycles are with the hammer back in the cocked position. Is that the only time it happens?
sadly no. I was (first post) out on the range shooting it and it wouldn't eject in exactly the same manner after a shot had fired.

Are both screws in the bolt flush? What about the ejector and the track it follows. In that you are pushing opposite the ejector, it is almost as if it is pushing or binding against the bolt.
seem to be ... I've pulled it down to the point of lever out and bolt out ... I'm thinking I'll need to take it all the way to solve this.
Another idea is the Locking Bolt. It should be slick as a whistle as nothing is connected to it. It depends on gravity to fall once the lever is out of the way. If it is sticking due to rough edges or surface, it might hang up and prevent further movement.
ok, so to get at that do I have to do heaps of disassembly (like hammer out) or can I get to it in a short cut manner?
Sorry if you have considered any of the above as I'm just trying to pitch ideas now that I've seen the point at which it is binding.
not at all ... its good to have inputs.

I won't get the chance now (its Monday) to get back to it till perhaps the weekend.

:-)
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I would take it all apart. The 336 is about as easy as it gets for take down and assembly.
Michael
pellicle

Post by pellicle »

let me see if I can actually photograph this project when I do it too. May be helpful to some others.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Photos can also be most helpful as a reference for putting things back together as well.
Hellier

Post by Hellier »

Ive had a couple of issues too but we got the bolt out and the extractor and basically cleaned and polished everything...singles then were not an issue but it still jams on muliples in the tube....this weekend we will pull the tube apart as well and have a go with some lube and some fine paste to clean and then polish all the moving parts...we use this particular gun on our quad and it cops a heap of dust...it was firing and cycling fine at first and has slowly gone bad.....I honestly think that these guns are ok but you do need to give them a really thorough clean before taking them to a gunsmith...Ive had that advice from a gunsmith.....that said they can have issues with timing on the cycling etc....we got a new extractor too and we will fit that as well.......we use Halls Firearms in Townsville and Mackay Shooters Supplies....
pellicle

Post by pellicle »

Hi
Hellier wrote:....I honestly think that these guns are ok but you do need to give them a really thorough clean before taking them to a gunsmith...Ive had that advice from a gunsmith.
yeah, I'm generally pretty happy with mine, but it sounds like you get more use out of yours than I do out of mine :-)

What are you shooting at with it? Doesn't strike me as the ideal roo gun, but then if the ranges are short then it'd be totally fine.

What are you using for ammunition? Have you seen Cleaver has some PPU rounds for a very attractive price ($18 / 20)
Arroyoshark
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Arroyoshark »

If you are using PPU rounds in your Rio Grande, you might find an answer here:

http://www.rossi-rifleman.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2714
When sitting down to clean a gun, the first step is to load another gun - Elmer Keith
pellicle

Post by pellicle »

Hi
Arroyoshark wrote:If you are using PPU rounds in your Rio Grande, you might find an answer here:

http://www.rossi-rifleman.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2714
Thanks for thinking of me but I doubt the rounds are the issue because
  • its done it from new with no round in it
  • looking at the video it still does it with no rounds in it
  • pressing the bolt at the side always releases it
I've been meaning to do a strip down but things like a motor rebuild and a bathroom refurb have taken priority
:-)