Preparing for new RG

Rossi's latest and past big game rifle based on the 336 frame!
pepperpete

Preparing for new RG

Post by pepperpete »

I have finally ordered my Rio Grande in 30/30 Win in SS to match my '92. I would like to start to get a few things together like dies and bullet molds etc. But I was also wondering if I should be prepared for some of the more common "fix" items. Are there any "must do" fixes that will need to be done and will I need to replace the magazine follower or springs that seem part of the deal with getting my '92 up and running? If there are I can order them before the new rifle arrives.
Thanks for your ideas in advance.
Pete
"Freedom is like respect and love. It has to be earned every day by your actions and re-actions".
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Preparing for new RG

Post by akuser47 »

Mainly flush her n lube her n shot her then report your findings. The break cleaner flush is what I always recommend first. Keep us posted.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
pepperpete

Post by pepperpete »

Preparation is half the fun. So, while I'm waiting for the RG to arrive I thought that I might start to build up my projectile stocks and start casting for the new RG 30-30. I am getting a 150gr Lee 309-150-F mold but was wondering if I should get the .308 or the .309 version of the sizer and gas check die. As many of you shoot your own cast bullets can you tell me what your experiences have been? Does the Rio Grande have a preference for one or the other. My experience with the .357 "92 was that a slightly over sized .359 bullet shot better than the .358. Is this the case for the 30-30 as well or will it be "shoot and see".
Thanks in advance.
Pete
"Freedom is like respect and love. It has to be earned every day by your actions and re-actions".
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

I can't speak to the 30/30 (one cartridge I don't have a gun for) but I've found that with cast bullets in just about all of the calibers I load them in and the rifle I shoot them in that a thousand or so over groove seem to shoot best. Some even fatter than that. My current project is to see how the Wizard 45-70 shoot bullets at .460 as cast. Want to see before I buy a sizer, may want to go to .459.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Ohio3Wheels wrote:My current project is to see how the Wizard 45-70 shoot bullets at .460 as cast. Want to see before I buy a sizer, may want to go to .459.
The cartridge OAL was significantly reduced when I tried a .460 bullet in both my RG and W. Even .459 affected the length more than I would have expected.
Michael
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Know what you mean. Right now I'm using the lee 457405 cast from 20-1 alloy. It drops out at .460. I lubed these with homemade SPG to try with black powder. That bullet seated to the crimping grove engaged the rifling so tight that I had to use a rod to push the dummy round out. The loads I've made up just barely engage the rifling and don't need force to load and eject with the Wizard's usual vigor. Hope to find some range time this week want to run these and some other loads over the screens so need dry. Prefer week days at the range when I use the chronograph as less busy.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
Centaur 1
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Centaur 1 »

The Lee 150 grain bullet shoots horribly in my RG. I would recommend you wait before buying a sizing die. My barrel has a groove diameter that's over .310", I size my cast bullets to .3125". The bore isn't the smoothest in the world, the chatter marks lead up pretty fast if the bullets aren't sized properly.
"We have federal regulations and state laws that prohibit hunting ducks with more than three rounds. And yet it's legal to hunt humans with 15-round, 30-round, even 150-round magazines." Senator Dianne Feinstein (D-California)
pepperpete

Post by pepperpete »

Centaur 1 wrote:The Lee 150 grain bullet shoots horribly in my RG. I would recommend you wait before buying a sizing die. My barrel has a groove diameter that's over .310", I size my cast bullets to .3125". The bore isn't the smoothest in the world, the chatter marks lead up pretty fast if the bullets aren't sized properly.
Shoots horribly... chatter marks... what? Happy to work on firearm to fix mechanical problems but rifling problems have me worried now. Will have to check new RG thoroughly before take delivery.
Doc_Floyd

Post by Doc_Floyd »

I have a RG in 45-70 which did not easily go into battery. One gunsmith said "Send it back!" I disassembled it and polished all parts with a wire brush mounted on my work-bench - then lubed it thoroughly and racked it 1000 times. I repeated that process until I had racked the bolt 4000 times, regularly disassembling it down to the frame every 1000 cycles. Now is it as smooth as glass. I replaced the sights with Skinner sights and it is a very compact and powerful - as well as reliable - weapon (it is my bear gun I taken on trips).
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Doc_Floyd wrote:I have a RG in 45-70 which did not easily go into battery. One gunsmith said "Send it back!" I disassembled it and polished all parts with a wire brush mounted on my work-bench - then lubed it thoroughly and racked it 1000 times. I repeated that process until I had racked the bolt 4000 times, regularly disassembling it down to the frame every 1000 cycles. Now is it as smooth as glass. I replaced the sights with Skinner sights and it is a very compact and powerful - as well as reliable - weapon (it is my bear gun I taken on trips).
You stuck with it and did good! Have you settled on ammo yet?
Michael