Oregon trail 350's....will these work?

Rossi's latest and past big game rifle based on the 336 frame!
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: Oregon trail 350's....will these work?

Post by Archer »

H4895, IMR4895 and AA2495 are all pretty close to each other.
I am sure the Accurate manual list 2495 for this cartridge but not certain about the bullet weights.
Hodgdon probably lists for both the H4895 and IMR4895 but again not sure about the bullet weights.

Probably some tweaking indicated in any event.
LeverLover4570

Post by LeverLover4570 »

Ranch Dog wrote:
LeverLover4570 wrote:Lol Archer, no, I'm definitely going to roll em and smoke em! :D Well Ranchdog, I'm wanting to do what's best for my rifles accuracy. Isn't SAMMI spec for OACL 2.55"? Would you recommend something different? I'm willing to differ to your experience. What have you found to work best with these rifles? My chamber and throat are factory cut. My brass is once fired, primed with CCI 200'S. I don't have the lead yet, as it's to be delivered later this coming week.
For best accuracy results with lead, you want the bullet's ogive to be at rest against the throat or no more than .005" off of it. If good design work was accomplished with this bullet, that will happen where the crimp groove matches the case mouth but it might not produce a 2.550" OAL because of the nose length.

The best way to determine cartridge OAL is with a cleaning rod.
  • Close the bolt and place a rod down the barrel until it is at rest against the bolt face.
  • Mark the rod.
  • Open the bolt and drop a bullet down the throat, I suggest pulling the bolt out of this 336 based action as it is so simple.
  • With the bullet at rest against the throat, use a rod or pencil to seat the bullet.
  • Send the rod back down the barrel until it is against the meplat of the bullet and mark it again.
  • Drop or tap the bullet out of the throat.
  • Use your calipers to measure between the two marks on the rod as closely as you can. This measurement is where you OAL will start with a dummy cartridge. If your measurement was correct, the completed cartridge should chamber without unusual effort/pressure to close the lever.
  • If there is problems loading the cartridge at the sampled OAL, reduce the length by .005 and create a new dummy cartridge.
  • Do not load any cartridges until you have established the OAL.
LeverLover4570 wrote:I can only find one loading for this combination, but it starts above 32,000 cup with a 48.3 grn charge and goes up from there. It's at 2.54 COL. I don't want a stainless steel hand grenade.... :shock:
If you are not hunting with it there really is no reason for this level of energy being sent out the barrel. The effort detailed above is towards producing an accurate round of ammunition. I would suggest we wait for the measurements and then figure out something. Do you have anything other than H4198? H4198 would be great for delivering the max energy but something like Benchmark, H4895 or Varget better for a comfortable, accurate paper round.

Looks like I've got some homework to do. ..all I have is H4198. Once I get the measurements, I'll get back to you. Thanks Ranch Dog! Archer too! :-)
LeverLover4570

Post by LeverLover4570 »

IMG_20150730_205810963_HDR.jpg
IMG_20150730_201558230.jpg
Well, as it turns out, I was misinformed. My uncle not only bought me 350's, but also 405's! +guns So it turns out that I'll need load data for both bullet wieghts. I haven't measured my rifle's chamber yet, but here's one piece of the puzzle.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Good deal!
Michael
LeverLover4570

Post by LeverLover4570 »

So, here's what I came up with and how I did it...tell me if it's wrong. With the bolt closed, I put my cleaning rod down the barrel till it bottomed out on the bolt. Marked the rod at the end of the barrel. Next I removed the lever pivot screw, lever, bolt, and extractor spring. From the I gently placed one of my new slugs into the chamber and allowed it to slide (gently) until it was stopped by the start of the barrel/rifling, but didn't allow it to be wedged in. Next, with the barrel pointed down, I re-inserted the cleaning rod, from the end of the barrel, upward, and marked it at the end of the barrel, when It contacted the slug. The distance between the two marks was 2.599" . So it seems to me that 2.55 should be my max over all cartridge length...right?
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

LeverLover4570 wrote:So, here's what I came up with and how I did it...tell me if it's wrong. With the bolt closed, I put my cleaning rod down the barrel till it bottomed out on the bolt. Marked the rod at the end of the barrel. Next I removed the lever pivot screw, lever, bolt, and extractor spring. From the I gently placed one of my new slugs into the chamber and allowed it to slide (gently) until it was stopped by the start of the barrel/rifling, but didn't allow it to be wedged in. Next, with the barrel pointed down, I re-inserted the cleaning rod, from the end of the barrel, upward, and marked it at the end of the barrel, when It contacted the slug. The distance between the two marks was 2.599" . So it seems to me that 2.55 should be my max over all cartridge length...right?
Yeap, that is how it is done. Are the decimal numbers on the bullet boxes the bullet lengths?
Michael
LeverLover4570

Post by LeverLover4570 »

Yes, exactly.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Okay, this ought to get you started.
RG4570_OT350&405RF.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
LeverLover4570

Post by LeverLover4570 »

Thank you so much!!! I cant wait to set my dies and get started! Applying case lube tonight! :)
LeverLover4570

Post by LeverLover4570 »

Do you recommend any kind of fiber fill or something to keep the powder snugly around the primer for lower capacity case fills? One you tuber was using what looked like polyester batting...