Oregon trail 350's....will these work?

Rossi's latest and past big game rifle based on the 336 frame!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Oregon trail 350's....will these work?

Post by Ranch Dog »

LeverLover4570 wrote:Do you recommend any kind of fiber fill or something to keep the powder snugly around the primer for lower capacity case fills? One you tuber was using what looked like polyester batting...
No, I do not use filler and the case capacity fill and burn on these loads is what I would call normal.
Michael
LeverLover4570

Post by LeverLover4570 »

Cool! Thank you sir!!!
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

There are probably as many opinions on fillers as there are reloaders. For myself I've never used it unless the manual called for it, so seldom. I did use Grex for some loads a long time back, but I tested loads without it and didn't notice much difference. And you can't get Grex anymore Winchester either stopped making it or they don't let it out in the wild anymore.

I think most people are using Dacron batting if they use filler. The problem I've always had is how much to use and do you fluff it up or leave it as is and stuff it on top of the powder. If it offers an advantage in a particular load it might be worth a try. I think I'd try the load both ways and see if I can detect any difference at the target.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

LeverLover4570 wrote:Thank you so much!!! I cant wait to set my dies and get started! Applying case lube tonight! :)
Pretty easy process.
Winchester brass is THIN. Remington ain't exactly thick.
Take your time and be careful not to drop the cases as the case mouth will deform in a 3-4 inch drop.
The Lyman M expander die is a great thing to have.
I'm a big fan of Hornady one shot spray case lube. (I hear Imperial sizing wax is good for high pressure applications but there's nothing particularly intense about sizing .45-70 and I haven't gotten around to trying the Imperial stuff on some of my thicker walled bottlenecked cases yet.)
LeverLover4570

Post by LeverLover4570 »

I've got Hornady one shot, starline brass tumbled and primed, and 3 piece RCBS die set...just haven't had time yet to get the ball rolling. SOON!!! :)