Rio Grande for Sillouette

Rossi's latest and past big game rifle based on the 336 frame!
pepperpete

Rio Grande for Sillouette

Post by pepperpete »

Since acquiring and then working up my '92 Rossi in .357 magnum to a very reliable gun I have been doing a bit of pistol calibre metallic silhouette shooting out to 100 meters at our local range. I have been enjoying it so much that I now think it's time to take the next step and get a big bore silhouette lever action rifle that will let me shoot in that class as well. Can't be a bad idea can it? Another lever gun, more casting more loading and more shooting.
My question is this. Given how happy I am with the '92 Rossi I am convinced that I can get the Rio working fine but, as we shoot out to 200 meters,( about 220 yards I think) do you think the Rossi is capable of the accuracy needed to knock over metal rams at 200m? Most of the other shooters use 30/30's with a few using 45/70's and one 38/55 Winchester the others are Marlins or Henry's. One comment has been that the light nature of the Rio Grande reduces accuracy. If I get the Rossi Rio Grande which calibre do you think is better suited to the 200m shot? As I will be they only one shooting a pair of Rossi guns I would like to be at least competitive. Although, I do like the idea of owning both "little and big brother" guns".
Thanks
Pete
"Freedom is like respect and love. It has to be earned every day by your actions and re-actions".
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Rio Grande for Sillouette

Post by Ranch Dog »

Well heck, I own Rio Grandes chambered in all three cartridges that you mentioned; the 30-30 Win, 38-55 Win, and 45-70 Govt and I consider them all 200 yard deer and hog rifles. All three rifles are very accurate. I've never shot factory loaded ammo in any of them, only my handloads with cast bullets.

I need to get a group picture of all three. Here are the 30-30 Win and 45-70 Govt. Kind of look the same except for the big loop lever on the RG4570B.

The 38-55 Win, looks the same as the others! I sent a NIB RG3030B to JES to be rebored and rechambered to 38-55 Win. This rifle is the cat's meow! Might be the only rifle chambered as such.

All the pictures have the factory finish but I will get a trio picture so that you can see them with a Tru-Oil finish. The production has stopped on this series and from looking at the auction sites it seems that the prices are down a bit right now but not sure how they sit on your side of the world.

I really like these rifles, they remind be of the Marlin 336RC of years gone by. Nice slim-lined carbines.
Michael
Coop 45

Post by Coop 45 »

Many shooters here use a 357 for both. I was using a 30-30 for rifle cal but I have just sold it (used the money for a 375 ruger howa 1500). You will find that you don't need a heavy fast round to knock over the rams at 200m. I was loading 168 grain cast projectiles with 8.5 grains of trailboss. These were for chickens, pigs and turkeys. They had no kick, were quiet and very accurate, doing about 1000 f/s. They would knock over about 50% of the rams they hit so I had a faster load for 200m. This was the same projectile going at 1400 f/s. This is still going at a sedate pace but will knock over the rams reliably.
What I found increased accuracy was not a heavy rifle (I have shot a 36/40 with a miruko ml-22 in small-bore and this is a very light gun), but good sights. Now that I have sold the 30-30 I am using my Rossi 45 colt. I have put a lyman globe on the front and use the thin post and bead insert that comes with it.
At the end of the day my advice would be to shoot a calibre you would have no problems shooting 100 rounds out of in one session.
Last edited by Coop 45 on 23 Jul 2015 04:57, edited 1 time in total.
"Shoot straight you bastards, don't make a mess of it" Captain Harry "Breaker" Morant, last words to his firing squad.
92 45 Colt 20" stainless
pepperpete

Post by pepperpete »

Great pic's Ranch, got my mouth watering just seeing those beauties. The 38/55 has a lot of appeal but I don't think it's available, at least not here. Thanks for that info Coop45. I'm leaning toward a Rio Grande in 30/30 at present as it let's me put on a scope and go hunt the piggies as well. They don't seem to have many problems and seem easy to clean and service. I can get a new Stainless RG30/30 from a dealer in Brisbane for $600 plus shipping. Seems like good value.
"Freedom is like respect and love. It has to be earned every day by your actions and re-actions".
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

pepperpete wrote:I can get a new Stainless RG30/30 from a dealer in Brisbane for $600 plus shipping. Seems like good value.
From the prices I've seen posted on your side of the world, I agree that it seems a reasonable price for the stainless rifle.
Michael
Coop 45

Post by Coop 45 »

A good choice. Cheap brass and lots of load data available.
"Shoot straight you bastards, don't make a mess of it" Captain Harry "Breaker" Morant, last words to his firing squad.
92 45 Colt 20" stainless
pepperpete

Post by pepperpete »

Hi, thanks for sharing your knowledge with me. It's been a while since starting this thread but I've been out of action for a while but have been putting in some "research" time trying to make sure I order the right rifle/calibre to get. You may not be aware that under our firearms laws we first have to apply for a "Permit To Acquire" a firearm and have to nominate calibre when doing so. The whole process can take a few weeks to go through the weapons section of our police not to mention a $34 application fee. So best to make sure you get a permit for what you really want.
Anyhow, I have a few more questions. Having looked at several lever guns suitable for shooting metal I've been on a bit of a roller coaster ride with Winchester, Marlin and Rossi's in 30-30's, 35 Remingtons, 45-70's. I,ve come to the conclusion that the 45-70 is a bit more gun than I like to shoot and the best value is the Rossi Rio Grande in 30-30. While I would love a 38-55 it is only available in Winchester and the price is too prohibitive and I cant easily mount a scope. The 35 Rem has a lot of appeal but 35 Rem ammo and brass is difficult to obtain (at least from the dealers I've spoken to). So from what I can see the 30-30 is a good compromise but should fit the bill and give me a 200yard steel shooter and a light pig rifle with a scope.
My question are:
1. I take it the Rio Grande barrel is not micro grooved like the Marlin.
2. What twist is the RG barrel and will it allow me to shoot cast bullets to 200gr.
3. Can you fit a action mounted peep sight like a Lyman to the RG?
4. What is the best distance to zero a scope for the 30-30?
Thanks
Pete
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I take it the Rio Grande barrel is not micro grooved like the Marlin.
Just a standard cut.
What twist is the RG barrel and will it allow me to shoot cast bullets to 200gr.
It is 1:12 which is the SAAMI and CIP Specification. It should not present any issues with heavy bullets.
Can you fit a action mounted peep sight like a Lyman to the RG?
I think the only peep sight I've seen on these pages is the Skinner Rio Grande Express which is a very good looking, quality sight.

I did not find any statement about not shipping outside the US but it would be best to ask him directly. His email address is on the FAQ page.
What is the best distance to zero a scope for the 30-30?
This depends on a lot of factors. Mainly what weight of bullet you end up shooting and it's velocity.
Michael
pepperpete

Post by pepperpete »

Thanks Ranch Dog. The Skinner Rio Grande Express sight looks nice. I take it you would have to remove the standard rear sight? I would mainly be shooting 150gr and 170 gr cast bullets. The 200gr is for a dream at this time as my son has a NT Buffalo permit. He will do the shooting and I will be back up! He couldn't use it this year as he and his wife had to attend a funeral in the UK. The authorities have let him hold the permit 'till next year so, we plan to do a hunting trip to the Northern Territory next April. The RG will have plenty to do tho' as the last time we were up the top end we were chasing pigs the size of ponies.
Hopefully, my next post will be a pic of said RG :)
Cheers
Pete
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

pepperpete wrote:Thanks Ranch Dog. The Skinner Rio Grande Express sight looks nice. I take it you would have to remove the standard rear sight?
The dovetail sight could probably stay but I'm not sure as to why you would want it. I would also get a Skinner Front Blade. He could probably help you with the height.

Interesting to hear about the buffalo and the fact that your son could hold the tag. Also sorry to hear about the couple's loss.
Michael