More on 45-70 Rio Grande

Rossi's latest and past big game rifle based on the 336 frame!
Daryl Licht

More on 45-70 Rio Grande

Post by Daryl Licht »

I had the RG 45-70 out this morning. I had high hopes for this rifle, but it just isn't for me. It will likely go up for sale on a local gun board at a pretty attractive price. Sights have been an issue from the beginning. After removing the scope base that Rossi so graciously and effectively loctited on, I found that with the stock front, it shot 12-15" high at 25 yards. It was replaced with a Williams that helped this situation, but with the sights centered it is still 8-10" left. I'm not sure this can be corrected without drifting the sights so far that they'd be hanging out of the dovetail. Accuracy seems fine as it groups well, just not in the right place. Probably a good candidate for a scope, I just don't really want a scoped levergun.

My new 92 was pretty sweet, I think with just a little tuning on the hard loading issues it's a keeper. I had already started to think about another 92 in .45 Colt, but now I'm not so sure. After two new Rossi lever actions that were not completely right out of the box, I doubt I'll spend any more money with them. It's a shame because fit and finish wise they appear head and shoulders above any of the new Marlins I've seen.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: More on 45-70 Rio Grande

Post by Ranch Dog »

I don't blame you. If it isn't right, turn it. It should sell well as there are just few out there.
Michael
Daryl Licht

Post by Daryl Licht »

I hate having that kind of disappointment, I've got a few others that have fallen out of favor, and it's just not in my nature to part with a gun. Not sure what to do at this point. I keep thinking a set of Skinner sights might be the right approach, just hesitant to spend any more money on it.

Sometimes I mellow out, but it is frustrating to spend money on a gun (or anything else for that matter) and it not be right. I still like the thought of a 92 in .45 as well, but will have to dwell on that since I'm a bit gunshy and the moment.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I have avoided the Rio Grande since most of the reviews here have included some work either remedial to rather intense. I love the price point they were selling at, but I require a reliable rifle.
Daryl Licht

Post by Daryl Licht »

I hear you Archer. After spending most of the day thinking I just wanted rid of it, I'm stuck with the personality flaw I have that doesn't allow me to admit I can't make something work. Still debating though.

Knowing when to quit just isn't in my nature.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I'm the same way as all that have posted but have experienced bad rifles from Marlin, Remington, Ruger, and Savage as well as Rossi. It just seems to be the way of the world until you are in at a price point of at least $1K.

I guess I was lucky with my RG4570 as it has been a real jewel. My Marlin 444T hates it as it has been know as my favorite but the truth be told I would rather carry the Rossi on my nilgai hunts. The last hunt I went on I thought I would take the R92 chambered in 454 Casull but the truth is the R92 weighs only .04 of a pound less than the RG4570 and the 45-70 Govt will always trump the Casull as a big critter getter.

Daryl… have you determined if the barrel, reference the front sight, is canted?
Michael
Daryl Licht

Post by Daryl Licht »

Did some more inspection this afternoon. The front sight is canted, the rear is not. The real problem, and I don't know how I've missed it for this long, is that the barrel is not straight with the receiver. The barrel doesn't appear to be bent, just not in line with the receiver.

This leaves me even more baffled on what to do with it. As it sits now, I would call this rifle junk. Not even sure that a factory repair is an option. I can't sell this to anyone in this kind of shape. Any suggestions on where or how it might be fixed?
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I'm like you, I would not pass off a know issue to another. The only recourse is to send it to Rossi, you really have nothing to lose at this point.

This kind of tainted me to the "old" Marlin. Both my 308 & 338 Marlin Express where junk and had the off centered barrels. The 338 had a few more issues as well. I had Marlin correct them and sold them when they were returned. Just had my fill of the rifles and knew I would never warm up to them.
Michael
Daryl Licht

Post by Daryl Licht »

All may not be lost. This rifle came from Davidsons, the dealer I bought it from is looking into what can be done. I went with the Rossi because I had looked at several different Marlins at a LGS that carries a large stock of them. I didn't see even one of any model I would have taken the chance on.
Bibletotingunslinger
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Bibletotingunslinger »

Daryl Licht wrote:Did some more inspection this afternoon. The front sight is canted, the rear is not. The real problem, and I don't know how I've missed it for this long, is that the barrel is not straight with the receiver. The barrel doesn't appear to be bent, just not in line with the receiver.

This leaves me even more baffled on what to do with it. As it sits now, I would call this rifle junk. Not even sure that a factory repair is an option. I can't sell this to anyone in this kind of shape. Any suggestions on where or how it might be fixed?

Hard to imagine any manufacturer selling it like that. Could it be the barrel breach not straight?
I feel for ya, wish you well with it.
Don't ask me to do anything where where I can't take Bible and Gun, I would leave Dog home, but reluctantly.