Rio Grande Action Disassembly

Rossi's latest and past big game rifle based on the 336 frame!
Surprise28

Rio Grande Action Disassembly

Post by Surprise28 »

Hello everyone. I am new to the forum, and am trying to deal with a number of common problems I have seen posted for the Rio Grande. I have the 30-30 model and have recently encountered both Failure-to-fire (FTF) issues on some reloads as well as cycling (feeding past loading gate, and jammed cartridges) issues. I would like to tackle the cycling issues first, as they have become the more pressing problem. Recently, I have learned how to pull the bolt after removing the lever, but would like to get to the loading gate area and check any burrs or interference issues. Can anyone help with some instructions on proper disassembly (and subsequent reassembly) of the action? I have drawings but would appreciate any tips on what order to do things in, and what to avoid.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Rio Grande Action Disassembly

Post by Ranch Dog »

Welcome to the forum and I think the issues with your rifle will be easy to figure out. First things first, the Rio Grande is nothing more than a Marlin 336 and there are unlimited videos on how to disassemble the rifle and then put it back together. With your issues, that is were I would start, a complete cleaning and then see if the problems stay with the rifle.

The Brownell series of videos are some of the better help videos as they are professionally produced.

[youtube][/youtube]

Once you get it cleaned, it is best to address each issue individually. Even though you might have a list, chasing several problems at once is about like a dog chasing it's tail. The way I have the forum coded is that if you write a very descriptive topic; similar & relative topics are listed at the bottom of your topic once it is posted. If you're not seeing replies to your topic, the similar topics typically are the best topics to look at next.

So, disassembly and cleaning is the best place to start. When the rifle comes back together make sure all the screws are tight (but don't use loc-Tite on any). The 336 action is a little weird in this respect, a single screw can really create havoc.
Michael
Surprise28

Re: Rio Grande Action Disassembly

Post by Surprise28 »

Thank you Ranch Dog. I have indeed gotten this far in the disassembly but will follow the cleaning and lubrication advice. I will note two things about my rifle. The bolt body has a VERY rough appearance. There are deep chatter/machining marks across much of the bolt's surface, and the slot for the lever end was crudely cut with large burrs. I cleaned and honed what I could for the most noticeable imperfections. Secondly, the finger lever plunger (#8 in parts breakdown) is very difficult to work. I will grease the surface but wonder if that part needs further tear-down. After this, my next concern will be the loading gate and tube as well as the lifter.