Rio Grande information please

Rossi's latest and past big game rifle based on the 336 frame!
venom725

Rio Grande information please

Post by venom725 »

Hi , i am a owner of a 45 colt Rossi m92 stainless , 20" .

I wanted to buy bigger , i try marlin but i have trouble with 3 guns i buy brand new i get refund and i turn on the Rossi rio grande , i have it in sight so before i decided to buy one , i wanted to ask some question about it , to know the beast a little more .

1 st : do is true , Rio Grande are weaker than marlin action , so in reloading we have to keep pressure Under 30 000 cup to not dommage where the barrel screw in action ?

2e : I have hear , the action is same of the Marlin 336 action , so if is true do the 336 stock can fit on the rio grande frame ?

3e : do WWG upgrade parts can do on the Rio Grande , bearproof ejectors , happy trigger , Aluminum Follower ?

4 e : do XS receiver ghost ring sight can be install on , and the xs lever scout mount rail ( the one use the first 2 screws of the marlin action) , Do i have to buy Marlin 336 Xs sight to use with rio grande or if is not compatible ?

thanks you in advance for help .
I already find a store can have one in Inox , but is sold it to me at 689.99$ with tax on is 794$ , my 3 last marlin cost me each 705$ with tax and all , is a 1895 gs stainless steel , but the quality are some cheap i don't think gonna buy another marlin in this century .
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Rio Grande information please

Post by Ranch Dog »

Welcome to the forum!
venom725 wrote:1 st : do is true , Rio Grande are weaker than marlin action , so in reloading we have to keep pressure Under 30 000 cup to not dommage where the barrel screw in action ?[/url]
It is not weaker but the rifle is a 336 based action and not a 1895 which you reference later in your post. Marlin does not chamber the 336 in 45-70 Govt but Rossi does. In that the that big bore leaves less metal were the barrel threads meet the receiver, yes, there is some considerations about strength.
I load my Rio Grande to 35.0 KPSI vs. the 42.0 KPSI that I loaded my 1895 to. In reality, with a heavy bullet, you are talking about 50 FPS less generated from the lighter pressure.
venom725 wrote:2e : I have hear , the action is same of the Marlin 336 action , so if is true do the 336 stock can fit on the rio grande frame ?
I don't think so but may be someone else has tried.
venom725 wrote:3e : do WWG upgrade parts can do on the Rio Grande , bearproof ejectors , happy trigger , Aluminum Follower ?
Not sure about the WWG or Happy… same answer as above.
venom725 wrote:4 e : do XS receiver ghost ring sight can be install on , and the xs lever scout mount rail ( the one use the first 2 screws of the marlin action) , Do i have to buy Marlin 336 Xs sight to use with rio grande or if is not compatible ?
I doubt it as the Rossi uses a different screw size. There are alternatives for the sights such as the Skinner that are just as nice if not better.
venom725 wrote:I already find a store can have one in Inox , but is sold it to me at 689.99$ with tax on is 794$ , my 3 last marlin cost me each 705$ with tax and all , is a 1895 gs stainless steel , but the quality are some cheap i don't think gonna buy another marlin in this century .
My goodness! Your importers are taking advantage of you. I just looked at my source at the blued version is $510 USD and the stainless $555 USD but they are out of stock. It seems that everyone is out of stock when it comes to the RG4570.
Michael
madtrapper143

Post by madtrapper143 »

Venom 725 I can give you a name of a reputable dealer in Western Canada that has Rio Grande .45-70 in stock at 549.00. I just got one shipped to me in Ontario tax included for 660.00. I too am interested in the strength difference between the Rossi and the Marlin. Ranch Dog any conversion on the KPSI? We are metric here but we don't all speak that language.

regards, Darryl
jdb

Post by jdb »

Yep, everything Ranch and Darryl said. ;~)

I'll just add this. I read an article when I was researching Rossi that pointed out that there is a company that does testing on materials in guns. They found that the most consistent Rockwell hardness of barrels of all lever gun makers was in the Rossi line. I can't remember exactly what that RC reading was, but it was in the middle of the pack for hardness and the most consistent of all AND it was considerably better than Marlin.

Now that's not the receiver or bolt, just the barrel, but I think you can probably assume that the other materials would be of an equal quality and not be wrong in doing so.

Also, while the Rossi Rio Grande IS lighter in weight than the Marlin...but just barely...in my opinion, it has very little to do with the strength of the design. They use all steel components and the manual for the Rio states plainly to use ammo that meets SAAMI standards for lever guns...JUST LIKE MARLIN, Winchester and every other lever gun maker sold in North America. So if your Marlin will take it, you'd probably be safe in assuming the Rio will to.

But, just a reminder, these are lever guns. Not bolt action or single shot safari guns. You can NOT load up tank killer rounds and get away with it like you could one of those more hardy designs. Just to make it plain. SAAMI standards for lever guns is very different than for bolt or single shot actions. The standards for lever actions is more like those for a revolver. So we need to keep that in mind when we reload for them.

Just a reminder.
"As to the species of exercise, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind." Thomas Jefferson
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

madtrapper143 wrote:Ranch Dog any conversion on the KPSI? We are metric here but we don't all speak that language.
Darryl, you should be able to find an online calculator to convert PSI to the standard you use.
Michael
madtrapper143

Post by madtrapper143 »

Thanks Ranch Dog. I mistook KPSI to be the metric kilopascal not PSI X 1000. I do speak PSI and that's what you wrote I just misunderstood it.

Darryl
venom725

Post by venom725 »

Is interested me , for your's info about dealer in Western Canada .
I wish he have it in inox , i like inox , my 92 is in and pretty good finish. And where i hunt is soo wet , blue gun always rust in 1 or 2 day . I clean it and oïl it after return to home but the day after have some rust spot . So with inox i ceracoat it Artic white , or aluminum , titanium that make a very good look and very hard to rust . but for the dealer if you can told me where and the name of it , the only i find can have inox was the one at 794$ . You can PM me . thanks
venom725

Post by venom725 »

thanks for information to all of you , I think i gonna buy one , if i find one .

for load , i contact Buffalo bore about pressure limitation and they told me , rossi take all ammunition they make , so 400 gr @ 2000 fps , i will wanted to go in the 1800 fps maybe 1900 fps at the far .
and load some 460 gr hard cast to 1700 fps
wquiles

Post by wquiles »

Ranch Dog wrote:My goodness! Your importers are taking advantage of you. I just looked at my source at the blued version is $510 USD and the stainless $555 USD but they are out of stock. It seems that everyone is out of stock when it comes to the RG4570.
I have been buying from Buds Gun Shop and ship to a local FFL, but they have been out of stock for a while now - no doubt due to the hunting season. I am patiently waiting so that I can order the stainless RG4570 "eventually" :)

Will
wquiles

Post by wquiles »

Local Bass Pro Shop has a new 45-70 Blue in stock, and discounted to $499 (regular price $549). Got to handle it today - way lighter than I expected. Felt nice, and it looked (to me) like a very nice, quality rifle. I was not able/allowed to cycle the action, so I can't report on smoothness. If it was a Stainless Steel version I would have bought it on the spot.