Remington Ammo

Rossi's latest and past big game rifle based on the 336 frame!
stevo1257

Remington Ammo

Post by stevo1257 »

Just wondering if anyone else has had problems with Remington Express Rifle 300 GR SJHP ammo? My 45-70 hammer dropped on the round, and nothing happened. I manually re-cocked the hammer and squeezed the trigger, this time the round fired. This happened with most of the box of ammo. I then switched to Hornady lever evolution ammo with no further firing issues. I examined the Remington shell casings and saw the firing pin had been hitting the primer with no results on the first hammer drop. Any ideas? What gives? Stevo
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Remington Ammo

Post by akuser47 »

If you still have the box for the lot number and date of manufacture. Contact remington they should be able to help.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

not saying this is the case, but it could be from a batch that the primers weren't fully seated. If you have some unfired leftovers from that batch, look to see if the primers appear to be properly seated below the case head.

just a guess....

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Personally, I might look at the rifle as well. The bolt on the Rio Grande is very easy to disassemble, you could probably find a YouTube video or text describing the work for the Marlin 336. It is the same bolt design except the pins are actually threaded hex head screws so don't try to knock them out (like I did). I would just make sure everything is clean and free of burrs, anything that would rob the firing pin of energy as it was whacked.
Michael
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I HAVE had some issues with Remington ammo but not in .45-70.
All manufacturers make a few bobbles along the way.

Remington has been very responsive to inquiries when there has been an issue.

I would generally recommend that when something isn't firing or chambering you try to figure out why before you've used up all the suspect ammo...