410 SS lever locks up

Rossi's latest and past big game rifle based on the 336 frame!
greenTR6

410 SS lever locks up

Post by greenTR6 »

I'm looking for some insight. I've got a brand new (actually a year old) Rio Grande SS410 that intermittently the lever will jam when chambering a shell. Sent it back to Rossi and after six weeks they informed me there was nothing wrong with it. Still has the same problem so I took it to a private gunsmith and he said that there was too much slack in the inertia safety block just forward of the trigger (he said he couldn't fix it because it took forever to get parts from Rossi). Couldn't find anything with that description in the parts breakdown, but in fact when the lever jams if I push this black block forward just a fraction the lever unjams. Is there a known easy fix that I might be able to do versus sending it back to Rossi where it will probably become an antique before I get it back. I really like the gun, but not crazy about the fact that I never know whether it will operate correctly.
jdb

Re: 410 SS lever locks up

Post by jdb »

To be honest, I'm not sure what an inertia safety block is. But as a last resort...you might take it apart and take the part to a local machine shop and see if they can either make ya another part or use weld to remove the slack on that one. But it will probably cost ya plenty if you aren't buddies with the machinist. ;~0

But beyond that, you might contact Rossi and tell them what your gun smith said and see what they say.

Oh, and Bad Monk had a similar problem with his 92. Here is the link to that thread and what he found. Don't think it's the same problem, but it's worth a read just because of all the different ways he found to make it lock up. ;~)

http://www.rossi-rifleman.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3012
"As to the species of exercise, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind." Thomas Jefferson
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

You will probably need to detail a better description using the appropriate part names from the parts list in the owners manual.

Are you sure it is the lever jamming and not the bolt against the hammer? This is the common "jam" with a 336 based action.

See this topic: Rio Grande Scratched Cases... Bolt Binding
Michael
Username Here

Post by Username Here »

Mine does the very same thing. When you start to chamber the first shell, the next one back in the tube pops out just enough to catch the small lever (?) that raises the first shell up. This is what is locking up your lever. You can push the second shell back into to the tube just a fraction & then you can pull the lever back & it'll raise and chamber the first shell.
Username Here

Post by Username Here »

Took my RG410SS back to my LGS and they sent it back to Rossi. Before the first shell would chamber the next one in the tube would slip out just enough to catch the lever & keep the lever from raising and chambering the first shell. Got it back after about three weeks & it seems to cycle fine now, all under warranty. Haven't had the chance to get it out & shoot it yet though. Hope all is good!
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Darn sorry to hear keep us posted to time frames and outcome.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Thanks for the follow up username! Hopefully you can put the shotgun to use now.
Michael