Magazine tube creep

Rossi's latest and past big game rifle based on the 336 frame!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Magazine tube creep

Post by Ranch Dog »

The set screw seems to be the best fix. I'm glad it worked!
Michael
boolitcastermaster

Post by boolitcastermaster »

coyote wrote:
Zippidydoodah wrote:Set screws can hold a pulley on a shaft, if you don't mind drilling and tapping the receiver. Once done you can loosen the set screw to remove the tube, then tighten back down when needed. A 1/8" set screw would work. Also could put one in barrel band.
My RG SS .30-30 mag tube became creepy after the first 30 rounds or so, and got progressively worse. A few days ago I drilled and tapped the bottom of the barrel band and tube and used an 8-32 X 1/4 stainless set screw, with blue lock-tite. The screw protrudes into the inside of the tube. This is a nice clean fix, and the tube remains removable for maintenance and cleaning. I will heat the set screw with a soldering iron to break the lock-tite free when it is necessary to remove the tube.

I'm going to test it today (weather permitting), will post results.

coyote
Mag tube creep in a 30-30!
I have a JM Marlin 336C in 30-30 and a 1950s manufactured Win 94 in the same caliber that I've been shooting for decades and not a sign of the mag tube moving in relation to the barrel.
Good to know.
Looks like the Rio design needs to go back to the drawing board to correct the problem with a tube that threads into the receiver or whatever.
If the Rios in 30-30 are falling apart I don't think the 45-70 version would hold up to my near max 45-70 loads which are pushing a 430 grain cast bullet around 1875 fps.
If the design improves I might look at a Rio further on down the road.
Cheaper to learn from the experiences of others.
Strawdawg

Post by Strawdawg »

No mag Creep on my 30-30
Steve

East of Eden on Tasajillo Hill
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

No magazine creep on my Rio's; 30 -30 with 170 - grain bullet st 42.0 KPSI, 38-55 with 250-grain bullet at 35.0 KPSI, and 45-70 with 420-grain bullet at 35.0 KPSI.

I'm also willing to bet I have the oldest, most used RG4570B out there.
Michael
JMaslonik

Post by JMaslonik »

I have a Henry in 45-70 and the bottom tube is also moving forward. I sent it back 3 times in one year and all they did was replace the bottom tube and set screw every time. After I saw that the same repair was made the 3rd time I called them up and talked to a guy the said he'd do anything I requested which was the following options:
1. Repair again
2. Brand new rifle
3. Select another model they offer
4. FULL Refund

Since they don't seem to be able to fix it after 3 times, I'm going with option 4. I'm sad that the Rio does this too because I was seriously considering it. :-(
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

JMaslonik wrote:I have a Henry in 45-70 and the bottom tube is also moving forward. I sent it back 3 times in one year and all they did was replace the bottom tube and set screw every time. After I saw that the same repair was made the 3rd time I called them up and talked to a guy the said he'd do anything I requested which was the following options:
1. Repair again
2. Brand new rifle
3. Select another model they offer
4. FULL Refund

Since they don't seem to be able to fix it after 3 times, I'm going with option 4. I'm sad that the Rio does this too because I was seriously considering it. :-(
Sorry to hear this, with any relationship I get into its give and take. My guns seem like a relationship as my other kids. They cost me money to go out ammo and components. Then like a child I must clean them. On top of all this I am their doctor/gunsmith as well. To keep my family ready for anything. Hillbilly ingenuity comes to play in my necessary fixes. Hope you can find a big caliber gun to fit your needs. Keep us posted.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
boolitcastermaster

Nothing is perfect each and every time you open a box with a new gun in it.
I'm handy with tools and somewhat mechanically inclined so if I pull a not so good gun out of the box and an easy fix is feasable I'll do that instead of send it back and spend more money in shipping costs than it took to fix the problem and the replacement gun may be worse than the one you shipped back.
I fixed up half a dozen of the post takeover Remlin disasters for guys at my local gun club who were getting the run around by Remington customer service to become a good levergun Mr. Fixit.
I like to check over any new guns at the point of purchase for defects and missing parts.
But some issues take time to manifest themselves.
I'm sure there's a fix for that magazine tube creep problem in the RGs.
JMaslonik

Post by JMaslonik »

I'm decently handy with fixing things but far from perfect. The reason why I didn't try on this Henry is because they pay for my shipping label. All I had to do was drop it off at at a ups service center. And this was 3 times! Lol. I also didn't want to tamper with it considering they could void my warranty.

Thanks for the reply guys
coyote

Post by coyote »

JMaslonik wrote:I'm decently handy with fixing things but far from perfect. The reason why I didn't try on this Henry is because they pay for my shipping label. All I had to do was drop it off at at a ups service center. And this was 3 times! Lol. I also didn't want to tamper with it considering they could void my warranty.

Thanks for the reply guys
I understand your desire to keep the warranty option. But that ship sailed some time ago for my Rio Grande. Like probably when it was an hour in my possession and I dismantled it to polish and buff parts. Voiding warranties is my thing . . . kind of a hobby.

Good luck with the Henry. My wife has a Henry .22 youth. She loves it. I haven't voided its warranty. Yet.

coyote
boolitcastermaster

The Henry rifles never turned my crank because of the lack of a loading port in the side of the receiver and those brass plated Henry models weigh a ton.
The only levergun I ever liked that loaded from the front thru the magazine tube was my Marlin 39A 22LR.
A front end loading centerfire rifle was never my cup of tea.