Magazine tube creep

Rossi's latest and past big game rifle based on the 336 frame!
LeverLover4570

Magazine tube creep

Post by LeverLover4570 »

Like the topic says, my magazine tube keeps creeping forward under recoil. I've tightened every screw that I can see, and even tried acetate glue (bonds to stainless steel) to keep it in place, which worked for about 300 rounds, but now it's moving again. I've drilled the divot in the barrel deeper too, with no effect. Every couple of shots I have to tap the tube back in place or I can't cycle rounds through it. Mods made to the rifle so far are: SS follower, and a shortened magazine spring.

Suggestions?

Thank you !!!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Magazine tube creep

Post by Ranch Dog »

I don't recall a post with the issue or a fix yet but honestly, I have been expecting it. This was an issue with the the original 336 frame heavy hitter, the 444 Marlin, experienced. Marlin switched from the barrel band to the forearm cap to correct the issue.

Rossi could really do the rifle a good deed by threading the tube and the receiver as they do on their other heavy hitter, the R92 chambered in 454 Casull, but that doesn't help us that already have the rifles.

This is on my list of "to dos" for retirement, in six short days, but I probably will not get to it until later in the fall or winter. This will be a preventative measure, something that I have wanted to address. What I was going to look into was placing a lug on the tube at the, probably will fashion it out of JB Weld. It will probably be be behind the band or aft of it.

There has been some innovative approaches to the issue with the R92 series, you might run a search for this. Also look at the Similar Topics at the bottom of the page. The forum has some logic that brings up related topics based on your opening post.
Michael
LeverLover4570

Post by LeverLover4570 »

Thank you! I saw those posts but someone said something about a threaded tube, but knowing mine wasn't, I figured my case would require a different fix somehow. I will re-visit those posts and see if I can fashion a remedy.

Thanks again, Ranch Dog!
Handgunner

Post by Handgunner »

I've had the same problem on my Rio Grande 45-70. Solved it by soldering a lug on the magazine tube just behind the barrel band. Also a little silicone in the stock around the tube.
venom725

Post by venom725 »

Maybe if you try to silver welding the magazine tube in the receiver , just a little silver tear on upper and bottom of the tube to stick him in place . silver will not damage or warm your's SS steel.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

venom725 wrote:Maybe if you try to silver welding the magazine tube in the receiver , just a little silver tear on upper and bottom of the tube to stick him in place . silver will not damage or warm your's SS steel.
The problem is that the tube should come off during cleaning.
Michael
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Agreed silver solder is definitely a good thing for many smiting needs. I do not think so in this case. As access for cleaning or work it needs to be removable.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Zippidydoodah

Post by Zippidydoodah »

Set screws can hold a pulley on a shaft, if you don't mind drilling and tapping the receiver. Once done you can loosen the set screw to remove the tube, then tighten back down when needed. A 1/8" set screw would work. Also could put one in barrel band.
coyote

Post by coyote »

Zippidydoodah wrote:Set screws can hold a pulley on a shaft, if you don't mind drilling and tapping the receiver. Once done you can loosen the set screw to remove the tube, then tighten back down when needed. A 1/8" set screw would work. Also could put one in barrel band.
My RG SS .30-30 mag tube became creepy after the first 30 rounds or so, and got progressively worse. A few days ago I drilled and tapped the bottom of the barrel band and tube and used an 8-32 X 1/4 stainless set screw, with blue lock-tite. The screw protrudes into the inside of the tube. This is a nice clean fix, and the tube remains removable for maintenance and cleaning. I will heat the set screw with a soldering iron to break the lock-tite free when it is necessary to remove the tube.

I'm going to test it today (weather permitting), will post results.

coyote
coyote

Post by coyote »

I ran 12 rounds down-range with no magazine creep. The set screw does the job. Previously, only one or two rounds would jar it loose.

coyote