Mag Tube Longer than Barrel?

Rossi's latest and past big game rifle based on the 336 frame!
aragornelessar86

Mag Tube Longer than Barrel?

Post by aragornelessar86 »

So I'm looking at either a RG or a Marlin SBL, and at this point the only thing keeping me on the fence about the RG is that in all the pictures from Rossi's or anyone else's websites, it looks like the mag tube is slightly longer than the barrel. I don't want my mag to protrude past the end of my barrel. Is it just my eyes playing tricks on me or is it actually longer?
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Mag Tube Longer than Barrel?

Post by Ranch Dog »

Mine isn't, just slightly behind the muzzle.

I'm already out and about, give me a day and I will get you a better picture if someone else doesn't have one.
Michael
Centaur 1
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Centaur 1 »

Mine is also just shorter than the barrel. I have seen just as many where the mag tube was longer than the barrel, they don't look right and they tend to sit in the rack. The same 45-70 has been in the rack at the Academy in Jacksonville for over two years, the mag tube extends past the end of the barrel by at least 3/16".

Here's mine.
"We have federal regulations and state laws that prohibit hunting ducks with more than three rounds. And yet it's legal to hunt humans with 15-round, 30-round, even 150-round magazines." Senator Dianne Feinstein (D-California)
aragornelessar86

So it sounds like its hit or miss. So the follow up question is: could you shorten the mag tube to correct the problem?
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

If you do shorten or adjust the tube you probably will have two areas that are out of alignment. At the end of the tube is a hole that the Magazine Plug Screw (34) passes through the tube and comes to reset in dimple in the barrel. Then there is the "half moon" cut that matches a similar cut on the underside of the barrel, this area is covered by the Magazine Ring (30). The Magazine Ring Screw (47) passes through these two halves of a hole to secure the magazine against the recoil it will receive.
RG4570_forward_band_magtube.jpg
If you shorten the receiver end of the tube, these two spots will move aft and the cut and hole that Rossi made will be to far aft. If you shorten the muzzle end of the tube, the Magazine Plug (33) will seat past the hole for its screw.

Because of these holes, I suspect replacement tubes are not available but you never know until you ask.

I wouldn't fret over this, just buy a rifle that is built correctly. If you have to order it sight unseen, ensure that there is some type of inspection period. I would even ask the question before buying so that I'm covered on the return.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
aragornelessar86

Sounds like a plan. Thanks all, for the advice.
jdb

Post by jdb »

Ranch Dog wrote:If you do shorten or adjust the tube you probably will have two areas that are out of alignment. At the end of the tube is a hole that the Magazine Plug Screw (34) passes through the tube and comes to reset in dimple in the barrel. Then there is the "half moon" cut that matches a similar cut on the underside of the barrel, this area is covered by the Magazine Ring (30). The Magazine Ring Screw (47) passes through these two halves of a hole to secure the magazine against the recoil it will receive.
RG4570_forward_band_magtube.jpg
If you shorten the receiver end of the tube, these two spots will move aft and the cut and hole that Rossi made will be to far aft. If you shorten the muzzle end of the tube, the Magazine Plug (33) will seat past the hole for its screw.

Because of these holes, I suspect replacement tubes are not available but you never know until you ask.

I wouldn't fret over this, just buy a rifle that is built correctly. If you have to order it sight unseen, ensure that there is some type of inspection period. I would even ask the question before buying so that I'm covered on the return.
Looks like to me, RD, that if someone has one and it stickin' out bothers them, shortening the receiver end and just filing in a new relief for the screw that holds the clamp (upper band) with a small rat tail file and then just put a new dimple in the barrel with a Drimel would be the easiest fix. That really doesn't sound like it would be that big a deal.

Am I missing something? Is there some other mod that you'd have to do if you just cut off the receiver end that I'm not getting? I ask cause I haven't had my 92 apart yet and I've never had a gun apart that matched the parts drawings exactly. LOL

Cutting the plug end off, filling the hole in the plug with brazing or welding rod or wire welding and then re drilling the holes in the right place SOUNDS easier, but it seems a LOT more iffy to me. I mean, it could be done for sure, but welding unknown thin metal is ALWAYS iffy in my experience.

Anyway, just glad I don't have to do it. Not that it would bother me to in the first place. As long as it goes bang every time I pull the trigger and hits what I'm aiming at, the aesthetics are the last thing I worry about. I mean, 45 years ago I bought 54 cal TC Renegade instead of the 50 cal TC Hawken rifle. That should tell ya how high on the scale I rank purdy. ;~)
"As to the species of exercise, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind." Thomas Jefferson
Arroyoshark
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Arroyoshark »

The mag tube & plug on my RG .45-70 does protrude a slight amount, didn't measure, out in front of barrel. A mid-1990's Colt compact model 1911 I've been shooting also has the recoil spring plug protruding out further than barrel crown. It does not appear to affect the function or accuracy of either piece. The way I've dealt with this non-problem is to focus on the sights and quit starin' at the business end so much.

Another way to look at it, if one must, is to consider it a little extra protection for the muzzle crown . . . .
When sitting down to clean a gun, the first step is to load another gun - Elmer Keith
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Arroyoshark wrote:Another way to look at it, if one must, is to consider it a little extra protection for the muzzle crown . . . .
Thanks, that is another way to deal with it and it sure involves a lot less worry!
Michael
aragornelessar86

Haha, thanks for the replies. I know it's silly for it to bother me, but it does. As was suggested above, I'll just make sure to buy one that doesn't protrude.