RG .45-70 crown, and sights.

Rossi's latest and past big game rifle based on the 336 frame!
jh2oman

RG .45-70 crown, and sights.

Post by jh2oman »

You can read my full saga of trying to get a working 45-70 in the Rossi Customer Service Experiences section. I think for now I'm done needing their services, but minor gunsmithing remains. I reported the newest gun has a totally slick action -- feeds & cycles like a dream. I also noted the barrel had no crown/chamfer. Took her to the range with a box of vintage WW 405 grain slugs in balloon head cases, and a box of Hornady LEVERevolution. Windage was perfect from the factory, but elevation is the problem. the 405 slugs were between 4 and 5" high at 25, 50, and 100 yards, while the LEVERevolution slugs were 12" high at 50, and 22" high at 100 yards -- this with the rear sight all the way down. To conserve ammo I was only shooting 2-shot groups, and they were always side by side. So I dropped the gun off at my smith -- $21.00 and he'll cut a new crown. I'll then re-evaluate the elevation issue, and we'll install new sights. At this point I don't know if just a taller Marbles on the front is what I want, or if I'll go with Skinner sights. I'll have to search the posts on this site for you guy's recommendations. I'm open to any and all suggestions!

JW
jh2oman

Re: RG .45-70 crown, and sights.

Post by jh2oman »

So I got the re-crowned gun back today -- the ham-handed helper at the gunsmith dented the magazine tube. I can't freaking win! Smith says he's got a swage to straighten it. So this weekend I'll check elevations, and will select a new front sight -- I like a small brass bead about half the size of the Rossi factory sight.
JW
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Darn, well keep us posted
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
jh2oman

Post by jh2oman »

Gun still shooting real high with the new crown. Just dropped it back off with my smith. I'm having him install a Marbles semi-buckhorn identical to the one I have on my Rossi 92 .44 mag. A 1/16" Marbles gold bead will go on the front. With info from the targets he'll do the math to get the right heights. He was pretty embarrassed about his helper denting the magazine tube ... that'll be a N/C repair!

JW
BeerHunter

Post by BeerHunter »

jh2oman wrote:Gun still shooting real high with the new crown. Just dropped it back off with my smith. I'm having him install a Marbles semi-buckhorn identical to the one I have on my Rossi 92 .44 mag. A 1/16" Marbles gold bead will go on the front. With info from the targets he'll do the math to get the right heights. He was pretty embarrassed about his helper denting the magazine tube ... that'll be a N/C repair!

JW
NRA-RSO, SAF, GOA, MSI, MSRPA, SLSC
FFL 03, MD Designated Regulated Firearms Collector

Love My RG4570S but until Braztech revises their "restricted" parts list, I'll not buy another or recommend the brand to anyone else.
Centaur 1
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Centaur 1 »

Any updates, did you get your rifle back yet?
"We have federal regulations and state laws that prohibit hunting ducks with more than three rounds. And yet it's legal to hunt humans with 15-round, 30-round, even 150-round magazines." Senator Dianne Feinstein (D-California)
jh2oman

Post by jh2oman »

Finally got the Marbles sights installed. I like the target picture with the 1/16" brass bead. I hope to check zero this weekend. I'm going to name this gun "Pig's Ear" as I'm trying to make her into a silk purse.
jh2oman

Post by jh2oman »

So, off to to the range today -- first time with the Marbles sights. Target at 50 yards, two shots with my 300 gr lead load at ~ 1500 fps, shots almost touching, 1" off center at 4:00. Fired some W-W 300 gr HP's, about 2" high at 50, about 1" low at 100. I think my smith nailed the front sight height. Action is fairly slick, trigger is nice. It took 7 months, but I now have the gun I wanted. I'm finally quite pleased. Stock will get some Danish oil, and I'm sure I'll need longer screws for the butt pad. Now to read Ranch Dog's post on hand loads...
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Sounds like it is going to work!
Michael
Skunkhome

Post by Skunkhome »

When I read the first post. I thought front sight too short. The last thing I would suspect is a bad crown if it is shooting consistently high or low, right or left.