HELP Rio Grande

Rossi's latest and past big game rifle based on the 336 frame!
bird dog

Re: HELP Rio Grande

Post by bird dog »

well guys I feel a little stupid but I took my rifle out today and left most the ammunition I purchased at the house, but I did have two of the ppu rounds and two Winchester rounds in my truck from where I was comparing them. I first shot the 2 ppu rounds and the same extraction problem happened shot the Winchester and everything ran smoothly. I know this is a small sample size but it seems that it was the ammunition.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Good news then. Keep us posted to any developments.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Arroyoshark
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Arroyoshark »

Good show, bird dog ! I believe you are on the right track with the issue on your lever .30-30.
When sitting down to clean a gun, the first step is to load another gun - Elmer Keith
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Very good and I too think the simple fix is to shoot what works. Like I noted, I have a Zastava M85 Mini-Mauser that has a similar issue, it is ammo specific, but I decided to return it to the manufactured and have them correct it. It is a real hassle to run a chamber reamer down a barrel as that barrel has to be removed. The reamers use to be cheap to rent but will now run you a minimum of $88.
Michael
Tuco Ramirez
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Tuco Ramirez »

Ranch Dog wrote:Very good and I too think the simple fix is to shoot what works. Like I noted, I have a Zastava M85 Mini-Mauser that has a similar issue, it is ammo specific, but I decided to return it to the manufactured and have them correct it. It is a real hassle to run a chamber reamer down a barrel as that barrel has to be removed. The reamers use to be cheap to rent but will now run you a minimum of $88.
If you purchased (1) in each caliber you would could open Ranch Dog's reamer rental's. Sounds like a plan to me..... :lol:
When you have to Shoot; shoot, don't talk.......
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

Centaur 1
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Centaur 1 »

I've also had this happen with my RG, and it only happens with hot loads. From what I can tell the locking bolt gets hung up in the breech bolt. Whatever you do don't force the lever, when it first happened to me I was shooting a max load of Hodgdons LE powder under a Hornady FTX bullet. I had to use a 1/4" diameter brass rod down the barrel, and it took several whacks with a dead blow hammer to free the bolt. The next time the lever locks up I want you to try something that works for me. As you're opening the lever if you begin to feel resistance, quickly re-close the lever then immediately open the lever. Whatever is getting hung up in the action is getting knocked loose again when I close the lever. I had to do lots of work to my locking bolt just to correct a headspace issue, and also the locking bolt was binding the firing pin which prevented the rifle from firing. I very rarely shoot anything other than cast bullets out of my Rossi, so it sees very few hot loads.
"We have federal regulations and state laws that prohibit hunting ducks with more than three rounds. And yet it's legal to hunt humans with 15-round, 30-round, even 150-round magazines." Senator Dianne Feinstein (D-California)
Tuco Ramirez
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Tuco Ramirez »

Centaur 1 wrote: I had to do lots of work to my locking bolt just to correct a headspace issue, and also the locking bolt was binding the firing pin which prevented the rifle from firing.
I did the same adjustments to my locking bolt. I have to wonder how many of these rifles have the same problem? Even gentle pressure on the lever would lock up the firing pin. The locking bolt looked like it was machined with a chain saw. I bet the hotter loads are jamming the locking bolt up into the bolt.
When you have to Shoot; shoot, don't talk.......
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson