HELP Rio Grande

Rossi's latest and past big game rifle based on the 336 frame!
bird dog

HELP Rio Grande

Post by bird dog »

Hello,

I'm sorry for asking but I could not find a clear answer when searching. I purchased a Rio Grande 30-30 a little while ago. The looks and finish are excellent and shoots nice as well. Sadly I purchased the rifle and had to let it sit for a while with school and work. The issue I am having is the lever keeps getting jammed closed after a shot and it take multiple attempts to get it open. It cycles rounds through it fine when I have not actually fired. Has anyone else had this problem? If so how was it fixed? I have already disassembled the rifle and cleaned and lubed it.

Thank you
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: HELP Rio Grande

Post by akuser47 »

I dont own one but if it binds after being shot. Generally somthing is to loose. I would remove bolt and look for somthing loose that may cause this. Hope it can be this simple. Many others here should have better info.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
bird dog

Post by bird dog »

im looking at it now and everything seems ok with it
bird dog

Post by bird dog »

forgot to mention, the rifle has been shot about 50 times
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I was just thinking that we must not have many new members with the RG as the topics in this forum have been very quiet. This is an issue that I do not think we have seen here so it might take a number of questions from the members to try and solve the riddle as to why the bolt won't open.

I'm with AK, is every screw secure? One screw in particular that seems to cause more than its share of issues on any 336 or 1895 design is the Trigger Guard Plate Screw, #26 in the RG manual drawing.

My next thoughts would lead me to look at the at extractor or ejector to see if it was binding against the receiver. A lot of what to look at will depend on what you feel as the lever starts to move.

It could be something like the area on the hammer that the bolt comes into contact with as the bolt starts it travel back. Same with the locking bolt, it should freefall clear of the bolt, it might be hanging up.

You are probably going to take a slow and careful look at the bolt and everything that is in contact with it.
Michael
bird dog

Post by bird dog »

Just checked all the screws and all are tight. The part that really puzzles me is it ejects the rounds fine when no shot occurs, but as soon as I actually shoot it locks up
Arroyoshark
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Arroyoshark »

Just curious, but what kind of ammo are you using ? Ensure that the chamber is clean. I would also remove the bolt and check the extractor, making sure it is properly installed. I don't have my RG in front of me, but will examine it later to see if more comes to mind.
When sitting down to clean a gun, the first step is to load another gun - Elmer Keith
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

Arroyoshark wrote:Just curious, but what kind of ammo are you using ? Ensure that the chamber is clean. I would also remove the bolt and check the extractor, making sure it is properly installed. I don't have my RG in front of me, but will examine it later to see if more comes to mind.

yep, my first thought was ammo/case related issues, giving Rossi the benefit of the doubt .... second thought was the chamber may by out of spec "undersized"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
bird dog

Post by bird dog »

I have shot Remington and Monarch, both brass, both 150gr and 170gr
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Just brainstorming but do you have any brass thats been shot out of her? I am wondering if there is any headspace issues. If you can take pics of the cartridge base of primers? If any pressure rings on the sidewalls of the cases? A go no go gauge would maybe help check this to be sure if you dont find anything loose. Please keep us posted we all learn through this process.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!