Rio Grande 375 Winchester

Rossi's latest and past big game rifle based on the 336 frame!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Rio Grande 375 Winchester

Post by Ranch Dog »

When Remington bought Marlin, Marlin was down to selling less than 500 a year and that included the special run guns. Supposedly less that 500/year was the death knell for any Marlin offering. My guess is that Remington will drop it. From what I've watched, they have not made any ammo for the cartridge for six years now. Very little 200-grain ammo left.
Michael
Elmerkeithclone

Post by Elmerkeithclone »

I know that Jes rebores a whole lot of 30-30s to 35/30-30 which is nothing more than a 30-30 necked up to 35 caliber. The whole thought process behind this is for the purpose of shooting pistol bullets.

I cast all of my own bullets now-a-day and believe that a hard cast gas checked lead bullet will do it all for me. If i didn't make my own projectiles then I might go with something in 35 caliber too. I love my 358 Winchester rebored from a Remington 660 Mohawk 308.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Elmerkeithclone wrote:I know that Jes rebores a whole lot of 30-30s to 35/30-30 which is nothing more than a 30-30 necked up to 35 caliber. The whole thought process behind this is for the purpose of shooting pistol bullets.

I cast all of my own bullets now-a-day and believe that a hard cast gas checked lead bullet will do it all for me. If i didn't make my own projectiles then I might go with something in 35 caliber too. I love my 358 Winchester rebored from a Remington 660 Mohawk 308.
In my thinking a 35-30 would allow me to shoot a heavier bullet 190 to 200 grain with performance matching that of the 35 Rem.

I would love to have a Rem 600 chambered in 35 Rem but I'm not willing to pay the asking price for the few that come available.

JES has some interesting offerings available on GunBroker at times, didn't see anything today. Savage 340 chambered in 38-55 Win are the norm. He did have a very clean Savage 170 pump chambered in 38-55 Win that I thought hard about purchasing but I had just bought two other rifles.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Ranch Dog wrote:I would love to have a Rem 600 chambered in 35 Rem but I'm not willing to pay the asking price for the few that come available.
Durn if I did buy one today on GunBroker at a reasonable price! Pictures and performance when it arrives.
Michael
Elmerkeithclone

You bought a Mohawk? Or a 35-30?
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Elmerkeithclone wrote:You bought a Mohawk? Or a 35-30?
Remington 600 chambered in 35 Remington. This is the original rifle with the 18 ½", ventilated rib barrel. The Mohawk was the later and last version without the rib. The 35 Rem was never offered in the Mohawk.
Michael
rman
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by rman »

Ranch Dog wrote:
Elmerkeithclone wrote:You bought a Mohawk? Or a 35-30?
Remington 600 chambered in 35 Remington. This is the original rifle with the 18 ½", ventilated rib barrel. The Mohawk was the later and last version without the rib. The 35 Rem was never offered in the Mohawk.
Anxious to see how it shoots RD. I've owned a few 600's, Mohawks and a 660 in .243. The 660 was one of my all-time favorite rifles.
At my age, there IS nothing better than shooting.
Elmerkeithclone

You got lucky Ranch Dog. I lived on gunbroker for months looking for one of those. There were a few that came up for sale but darned if they weren't priced out of my league. An old buddy of mine killed many a Missouri whitetail with a 600 in 35 Remington. Seems like his had a Shilen barrel on it. It might have been a build from a 222 or 223. I ended up buying a clean but used 660 in 308 and since it had a 308 bolt face it became a 358 Win.

My buddy killed deer for years with a 200 grain Hornady round nose. When he got a lot older he started making his own 225 grainers out of wheel weights. He water quenched them and put a gas check on them when he sized them. I think he was only running those bullets at 17-1800 fps but his deer killing didn't drop off a bit.

I can remember about 25 years ago when a certain farmer just east of town was having a problem with a dog pack killing his sheep. He called me and asked me to bring JackO(a certain pre 64 270 that I shot for years) out and help with the problem. I picked up Dennis and his 35 and we went for a look see. It appeared that the dogs were living in a junk yard a couple of miles east of said farmers place and were traveling down the railroad tracks to the pasture where the sheep grazed. Their tracks indicated that they were exiting the tracks at a RR bridge that crossed Bear Creek. Apparently the dogs didn't like looking through gaps between the ties on the bridge. It was a long way down.

I planted Dennis at that point and drove to the farmers house to talk to him. As I pulled in the drive and heard gun fire. The farmer had shut the sheep in a lot that accessed an old confinement building. There were dogs in the building and the farmer killed one. The other 4 dogs bolted for the bridge on a dead run. I heard Dennis's little Remington bark 3 times and he killed 3 of the 4 dogs all on a dead run. The 4th didn't have nerve to come back.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I enjoyed that sorry Elmerkeithclone and will let you and rman know how it shoots.

I've been looking for one for a very long time. I even have kept a spreadsheet on the sale prices from the auction sites so I would know what I was looking at. On average, they have been selling for $1055 but this is for a "hunted" rifle. Clean, near $200 more. I bought mine for $855 and it appears to be a very clean rifle. Had it not been a summer, Sunday afternoon closing, this rifle would have sold for considerably more. This gives me some wiggle room for outfitting it with the Heritage Arms machined ventilated rib and trigger guard. I wish someone one offered a machined ventilated rib that included a weaver or picatinny style base for the use of a scout scope. That never happened, just not enough rifles out there to justify the design I suspect.
Michael