Buck horn sight elevator jumps all over

Rossi's latest and past big game rifle based on the 336 frame!
ozarki

Buck horn sight elevator jumps all over

Post by ozarki »

Does any one use the issue buckhorn sights on your Rio Grande? My elevator changes with recoil, and I am using starting loads listed in the manual. It appears the steps are too slick, and too short to reshape. May have to make a new one. Was hoping someone may have some tricks.
Wes
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Buck horn sight elevator jumps all over

Post by akuser47 »

If you have a cheapo daisy bb gun or somthing close use an elevator ramp from it as long as it fits in it. You can also use 300 grit wrapped onto somthing like a paint scraper and ruff up the steps so it may handle recoil. Keep us posted.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

I robbed the elevator off an old unusable Daisy pellet gun to put on my R92 after the first range trip with it last February. Shorter "steps" and perfectly sharp cut - not a single jump after lots of magnum rounds (I quit trying to keep up after 500 or so)

JD
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
CHX77

Post by CHX77 »

The steps on the elevator are cut straight instead of the saw tooth shape used on the Marlin lever guns. I wonder if one from a Marlin would work: link.

The elevator on my RG3030 seems to move way too easily and could be accidentally adjusted during normal handling or cleaning. It never moved while shooting, but now I've added a scope which renders the iron sights unusable anyway.
ozarki

Post by ozarki »

After comparing the rear sights on pellet guns (2) Winchester 94s (2 30-30,32ws, and an original Amedeio Rossi 92. I find the sight on the RG 45-70 to be about 4x thicker. The elevator that came with the RG has steps that are too short to hold that thick sight. Not having myself together last night I filed the steps so they would have a hook on the end like the bottom one. Today I put the elevator in the mill vice and milled the last two. I lost the highest position, but don't think I will need it as my range is only 100yds and I don't see that changing in my lifetime. The point of all this is that the hook keeps the elevator from jumping all over.