Light firing pin strikes, faliure to fire

Rossi's latest and past big game rifle based on the 336 frame!
Tuco Ramirez
500 Shots
500 Shots

Re: Light firing pin strikes, faliure to fire

Post by Tuco Ramirez »

I tossed mine before I went one piece firing pin. Give it a try...
When you have to Shoot; shoot, don't talk.......
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

I'm curious .... do the ejectors on the RG's have the same type profile at the 92? .... as it the ejector has the extended "wings" that seat into slots below the chamber throat?

I noticed that after I reshaped the "wings" of the ejector on my 92 that the bolt closed smooth and evenly. Prior to that I could see the bolt face appeared to be pulling down a bit as well as being a bit hard to close.

May not even be similar in design, but just thought I'd throw that out there just so I could leave my unsolicited mark on another thread :D

JD
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
Tuco Ramirez
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Tuco Ramirez »

I don't have a 92 but I am sure it is nothing like the Marlin 336 action.

ozarki

Post by ozarki »

OK, so back to the drawing board. Light strikes have gone to less than 2 in ten. Tonight I worked on the bolt so that I now have 26 thousandths clearance on both sides of the hammer and the bolt. The hammer nose was also colliding with the top of the bolt. Lots of filing going on there. The hammer now pushes the firing pin all the way in to the spent primer that I used. Got to get some dummies (other than me). Will get back to you next range session .
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Sounds good also a siuggestion if hammer seating is sloopy in the reciever it may help to shim it to get better alignment I have done this to other guns the the hammer was sloppy in and it solved the misfires
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Tuco Ramirez
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Tuco Ramirez »

Sounds like your on the right path.... Keep us posted.

ozarki

Post by ozarki »

Well the RG fired all but the last round. When I ejected it the pin strike was almost beside the primer. So it appears that when in battery, the bolt somehow moves around in the receiver. So stronger spring, and all the touch up isn't going to remedy that. Back the shop.
Tuco Ramirez
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Tuco Ramirez »

With the bolt out on mine I noticed there was little room for error seating the case into the bolt face. The side walls on the bolt face were square. I tapered ever so slightly the inside wall on the bolt face to help guide the case into the face. I'm at work so I can't send a pic hope you understand what I am referring too.

I also dressed up the extractor hook because it seemed way to long. Now that I think about I have worked on just about every part in the rifle..... :lol: Trust me when I say I was not laughing when I was have FTF issues.

donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by donhuff »

ozarki wrote:Well the RG fired all but the last round. When I ejected it the pin strike was almost beside the primer. So it appears that when in battery, the bolt somehow moves around in the receiver. So stronger spring, and all the touch up isn't going to remedy that. Back the shop.

That's what I was talking about earlier. The top of the bolt face, does not have a "rim" to keep the boltface and case head in alignment. That's why I wanted to weld something in the receiver to hold the bolt UP in the correct position.
I wonder if maybe rossi cut too much metal out of the receiver and that's why the bolt is not supported in the proper position. Wish I had a marlin to compare it to.
Don Huff

to bad those that know it all, cant do it all!
16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70
ozarki

Post by ozarki »

Went to the shop when I left you last night. Pulled the lever and bolt from my RG-4570. Apparently the only thing that keeps the bolt square with the receiver is the extractor and the ejector. I haven't paid much attention to the receiver/barrel junction, but should have. The groove the rim of the cartridge lays in is very shallow. My FTF the other day was caused by a loose extractor and a pile of 5744 jammed into the shallow groove, holding the cartridge out of the shallow groove causing the pin strike to almost miss the primer. I'm through with 5744, way too much unburned powder, and this is with a good solid crimp.
I don't expect this to solve the FTF problems on anyone elses RG but a rather strange situation of mine alone. When it stops raining I'll get to the range for more testing. As an aside, I now have 10 cartridges marked to index, so will know where the pin strikes are from 12:00. Should have done this weeks ago
Wes