Recoil pad for rio grande 45-70

Rossi's latest and past big game rifle based on the 336 frame!
oldsarge

Recoil pad for rio grande 45-70

Post by oldsarge »

So I went out and shot my 45-70 rio grande today and found out that it kicks- a lot. Lol. (And I thought that the price of ammo was gonna keep me from shooting it often!!!!!)
In light of this, what is a good recoil pad that will make the blows a little softer for me? Or should I just man up and take it? Lol
Any input is appreciated. Thanks.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Recoil pad for rio grande 45-70

Post by akuser47 »

Limbsaver makes a slip on that helps alot and slips on an off easy
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Kiwi-Hunter

Post by Kiwi-Hunter »

Hi oldsarge
Here's what I do if I am shooting a lot of range work with the 308.
I have cut up one of those sleeping pads ( low density foam ) and made it to fit the shoulder, as the shooting is only range work and the pad can go under the shirt.
When hunting I only need one shot and with the blood flowing I never notice the recoil.
Also because of the damage in the shoulders I need the shortest pull as possible and the butt stay's standard.
So no you don't have to drink a cup of concrete and harden up. :)
KH
No one ever regrets buying quality
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

At one time I was a Limbsaver guy but after a decade they started to leak their jelly filling so I had them removed and switched to a Decelerator pads. I have a couple of gun racks that the guns are presented on the butt stock like they stack in my safe, I would go to pull one and it would be stuck. One that I had not shot much pulled the nap off the carpet in my safe. Mineral spirits removed all the sticky stuff from the racks and safe.

This was on about a dozen Marlin big bores but I haven't switched the RG's pad out. I had the rifle when I did the work on the Marlin's but got tired trying to size a grind to fit from those available.

Where this is leading is that you guys always cost me money. Today, I sat down and ordered the tools that are really needed to fit Decelerators to a rifle that doesn't have a pre-fit pad. For me this will be my RG4570 and my R92s chambered in 45 Colt, 454 Casull, and 480 Ruger. The first thing you need are the Decelerator templates.
pad_guides.jpg
These allow you to select which pad you need to work with. This is actually a template of the metal within the pad and allows you to see how much you have to work with before you hit it.

Next is a proper vice to work on the pad!
pad_fixture.jpg
This will hold it in place so that it can be fitted properly.

I'm going to cut off the curved butt of the R92 chambered in 45 Colt and the templates will help me select the spacers needed to do this professionally and properly. I think that I will replace the Rossi cheek piece and use the God'a Grip pad instead.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
Kiwi-Hunter

Post by Kiwi-Hunter »

Hi RD
How thick are the Decelerator pads? Is there much butt wood require to be remove for say a youth fit?
KH
No one ever regrets buying quality
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

The fit generally is in regards to matching up to the stock. Rd is getting all the tools needed to ease in this fitting to the stocks. Youth stock in most cases will need rear buttstock trimming to get the proper l.o.p.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

akuser47 wrote:The fit generally is in regards to matching up to the stock. Rd is getting all the tools needed to ease in this fitting to the stocks. Youth stock in most cases will need rear buttstock trimming to get the proper l.o.p.

does this mean we're all invited to take our 92's down to the ranch for a buttstock retro-fit?

How about it Cousin Michael? Then we can all take a road trip to our favorite Uncle's new place on the dairy farm and try out the custom stocks. :D

Sure sounds like a good plan to me 8-)

JD
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Kiwi-Hunter wrote:How thick are the Decelerator pads? Is there much butt wood require to be remove for say a youth fit?
Youth length of pull is generally about 13" and the round barrel R92s are already shorter than that at 12 1/2". The 454 and 480 are longer, at 13 3/4",with their straight butt stock and recoil pad. I'm not quite sure how much I need to remove with the curved stock but I'm going to go this route rather than trying to buy and fit a Boyd's stock. Actually, in the R92, I do think the 454 and 480 butt stock is a bit long so they might get trimmed just a bit as well.
mr surveyor wrote:does this mean we're all invited to take our 92's down to the ranch for a buttstock retro-fit?

How about it Cousin Michael? Then we can all take a road trip to our favorite Uncle's new place on the dairy farm and try out the custom stocks. :D

Sure sounds like a good plan to me 8-)
Sounds like a plan Cousin JD! Come October, my time will lighten up quite a bit with retirement. Once we finished with your stock, we might load up and go visit Uncle Joe in KY!
Michael
Moon Tree
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Moon Tree »

Heck, boys, if'n ya'll are makin' a road trip to good ol' KY, swing on by the Moon Tree Farm. :D
Life isn't about the toys you accumulate, but about the memories your create with those toys and friends.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Moon Tree wrote:Heck, boys, if'n ya'll are makin' a road trip to good ol' KY, swing on by the Moon Tree Farm. :D
There we go, one place to the next!
Michael