Recoil pad for rio grande 45-70

Rossi's latest and past big game rifle based on the 336 frame!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Recoil pad for rio grande 45-70

Post by Ranch Dog »

The tools arrived, the Decelerator frames and vise. Unfortunately, I don't think even the smallest decelerator will work on the R92, the stock is not wide enough. Will look at it closer and post in the appropriate forum.

I wanted to prep the R92 first so on to the Rio Grande, no issues there. More on it later.
Michael
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Cool im excited to see your results
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Maximumbob54
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Maximumbob54 »

I went the opposite direction and bought one of the PAST recoil pads. I feel a little like a pansy wearing it but I can shoot that R92 in .44 magnum with the steel capped butt all afternoon now and my shoulder isn't crying for the next week. I was going to try one of the Galco leather butt pads that velcro on and off so I might swap it out on different guns but once again haven't gotten around to it yet.
Arroyoshark
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Arroyoshark »

There is also a penny pincher option to softening the recoil a bit on the Rio Grande .45-70. When I first obtained my carbine I noticed the Rossi recoil pad was rubbery, yet it was stiff on my shoulder and the recoil rattled my teeth. There is a solid rib that runs down the center of the Rossi recoil pad, which in my opinion seriously restricted the pad from flexing under recoil. I took a drill bit about the same size as the openings on the side of the recoil pad, and using a hand held electric drill, I drilled through the center rib at each small cavity on the side.

After doing this the recoil pad flexed much more and it became more tolerable to shoot the bigger boy loads through my Rio Grande.

Might be worth considering. It improved things for me. I still tend to wear a PAST pad in the summer, when a sweaty tee-shirt makes for fabric pinching under recoil.
When sitting down to clean a gun, the first step is to load another gun - Elmer Keith