where to releive my loading gate..

Rossi's latest and past big game rifle based on the 336 frame!
mintaka

where to releive my loading gate..

Post by mintaka »

Got it about 2 weeks,still unfired..completely stripped and polished some friction spots..my loading door shows space at top and rubs on bottom..top being towards ejector port..I polished bottom of port and door a bit,but think I need some bending or filing..because miss aligned door can produce feeding problems I'm hesitant to proceed as some times too much removed is no good..it really hurts my thumb on feeding thru door..a subject I've seen on this sight as being not uncommon..now for the question at last..should I file door opening at the bottom,or door or both??..should it be enough to see the same space I see at top??..can the door or opening be relieved too much??..I would file a bit at a time and the polish etc..any suggestions other than wearing gloves..thanks
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: where to releive my loading gate..

Post by Archer »

I don't think you really want to relieve the loading port nor the gate.
Deburr them and knock off any knife edges but don't change them dimensionally.

The typical modification to the loading gate is to relieve the leaf spring somewhat.
You can take the spring down to something like half to a third the width, either narrowing it down from both top and bottom sides or I've seen it done on one side only.

You must go slow enough not to heat up the spring as you do not want to remove temper and remember you can't put metal back once it is gone. You should also leave a radius not a step where the thickness changes.

As for alignment of the gate with the port, I think that's probably a matter of making sure it is in the right place when you tighten the screw that holds it in place.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

If it is like the 92 it is a flate spring and can be somewhat hour glassed to make her easy to deal with
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Yeah my comments were based on the 92 but the Rio Grande exploded view shows item #31 loading spring that appears to have the same attachment form as the 92. Part is the same spoon shaped gate on one end spring in the middle and threaded block on the end for the screw to pull it to the inside of the receiver from the outside.