Cast Bullet size for RG 45/70

Rossi's latest and past big game rifle based on the 336 frame!
Trigger Happy

Cast Bullet size for RG 45/70

Post by Trigger Happy »

Greetings, I just got a Rossi 45/70 and would like to shoot cast boolits. I've read that the Rossi has a bit of a tight chamber and would like to know what size mold some other casters might be using?
Thanks Rick
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Cast Bullet size for RG 45/70

Post by Ranch Dog »

Trigger Happy wrote:Greetings, I just got a Rossi 45/70 and would like to shoot cast boolits. I've read that the Rossi has a bit of a tight chamber and would like to know what size mold some other casters might be using?
I don't think they have a "tight" chamber, might be tight compared to all the slop cut into a Marlin's chamber. The chamber impression I took of my RG4570B measures that it is cut to the SAAMI spec. I shoot a .458" cast bullet from mine and it is extremely accurate.
Michael
Trigger Happy

Post by Trigger Happy »

Thanks , I still haven't had a chance to shoot this yet but I'm hoping the weather cooperates this weekend.
Trigger Happy

Post by Trigger Happy »

Got to shoot the RG yesterday and I was pretty happy with it. Shot 10 Winchester 300 HP's and 10 Remington 405 FP factory loads and got some nice groups at 50 yards, they opened up a bit at 100 but that is with a Skinner Low Pro site and I found out my eyes are not good enough for a peep site at that distance.
So it look like I'm going to need a new scope.
The only issue I had was the front site sits loose in the dovetail, the band holds it somewhat but I could move it a enough to make a 3" poa at 50 yards. Nothing a little shim won't fix.
I'm really looking forward to shooting cast from this gun.
Thanks Rick
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

That stainless rifle is sweet looking. Nice finish on the stock!
Michael
Trigger Happy

Post by Trigger Happy »

Ranch Dog wrote:That stainless rifle is sweet looking. Nice finish on the stock!
That would be courtesy of the previous owner,just a wipe down with True-oil.
Since I could'nt find any RD molds in stock I decided to try a Lee 457-405-F mold. What the heck for 20 bucks. The alloy I've been casting with drops em about .001-.002" over size so they should put me about .458"