New rossi rio grande 45-70ss

Rossi's latest and past big game rifle based on the 336 frame!
oldsarge

New rossi rio grande 45-70ss

Post by oldsarge »

We'll I finally got the funds to purchase my first 45-70. I got a rio grande in stainless from buds gun shop. Already had it apart cleaning out all the factory lube that came in it. It looks great and cycles well. Can't wait to get it out to the range. I am currently in the process of refinishing the stock. I sanded it lightly leaving the factory dye in it and have applied two coats of tung oil. It has already improved the looks greatly. I'm glad I found this forum before my purchase because I almost didn't buy a rossi because of all the negative review, but I am very happy with my purchase. I also would like to put a word in for buds. I paid $515 with shipping and I also purchased their lifetime warranty for $25 more which covers everything including shipping. We'll worth it if I ever have an issue consider most end up spending $40 just for shipping back to rossi. Anyway, thanks for reading and have a great day. Image
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: New rossi rio grande 45-70ss

Post by Ranch Dog »

You will love the rifle! You gon'na hunt with it. If so, what you gon'na hunt?

Oh, welcome to the forum oldsarge!
Michael
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Nice and welcome, keep us posted +corn
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
oldsarge

Post by oldsarge »

Ranch Dog wrote:You will love the rifle! You gon'na hunt with it. If so, what you gon'na hunt?

Oh, welcome to the forum oldsarge!

Right now I'm planning on hunting deer, black bear and hogs but what's great about this caliber is that I can hunt pretty much anything I'll ever want to hunt. (Maybe one day I'll get to go on that elk hunt)!!!!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

oldsarge wrote:...what's great about this caliber is that I can hunt pretty much anything I'll ever want to hunt. (Maybe one day I'll get to go on that elk hunt)!!!!
Very true!
Michael
lovetohunt

Post by lovetohunt »

I have limited time with my Rio, but can say I love it. I polished the lever, bolt, and loading gate with polishing compound and some 1500 grit sand paper and it is smooth as glass. Mine really likes the Lever Evolution 325gr. and The HSM Bear loads. Both shoot about a 3 in group with irons at 50 yards. The Bear load is just plain mean. Those are the only 2 loads I have been able to find.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

lovetohunt wrote:I have limited time with my Rio, but can say I love it. I polished the lever, bolt, and loading gate with polishing compound and some 1500 grit sand paper and it is smooth as glass. Mine really likes the Lever Evolution 325gr. and The HSM Bear loads. Both shoot about a 3 in group with irons at 50 yards. The Bear load is just plain mean. Those are the only 2 loads I have been able to find.
I started looking around on the web for 45-70 Govt ammo and it has gotten very expensive. Might be reason to start reloading!
Michael
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

The shop I hang out at got two cases of Black Hills 405 grain lead load.
Since I've got somewhere between a hundred and two hundred rounds loaded and components for another couple hundred I haven't tried them.
Elwood717

Post by Elwood717 »

Congratulations on your new rifle.
Trigger Happy

Post by Trigger Happy »

Well I'm liking mine so far..getting ready to load some cast for it.