rio 45/70 barrel defect ?? Is it safe?

Rossi's latest and past big game rifle based on the 336 frame!
coyote315

rio 45/70 barrel defect ?? Is it safe?

Post by coyote315 »

SO, I loved my 92 in .357 so much for an all-around utility rifle, I also got a Rio in 45/70 for deer/pigs/everything-not-extinct.
I shot it a few times, then gave it the typical "new Rossi" disassemble, degrease and cleaning, and discovered something unsettling... the barrel band clamp screw that holds the forearm on was put through the bottom of the barrel pretty darn well; it's not visibly leaking, but it's kinda scary- deep! Looks like the hole was tapped really badly.
I know the 45/70 is a relatively low- pressure round, but is anyone else having a similar issue? Is there a safety recall? Should I be worried about losing my hand?
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: rio 45/70 barrel defect ?? Is it safe?

Post by akuser47 »

Can you post pics also if you have calipers to measure at the screw cut to top of barrel We may be able to figure out how safe it is. also if others with a 4570 could get a similiar measurement and maybe show how and where they took this measurement it may ade others. I do not have one to help. Keep us posted.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
coyote315

Post by coyote315 »

trying to upload the pic now. Can't find good calipers: it's 4* in the barn and I don't feel like looking.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
coyote315

Post by coyote315 »

this picture shows the handguard slid forward to the front sight (note the rear sight in upper left).
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

It is deep compared to my .357 rossi 92, but I think you are safe as even with it being .4570 you still have alot of meat between the bore and that relief cut in the barrel for the screw you should be GtG. +guns I've seen worse that still checked out.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

This tends to be an issue with the R92 instead of the Rio Grande. My three rifles really don't have any relief needed. To relieve your worry a bit, take anything that you can measure the depth of the cut and compare it to the dovetail cut for the rear sight.

Of course, there is only one way to cure it if you want it right and that is to send it back.
Michael
coyote315

Post by coyote315 »

thanks you, gentlemen. I will check it against the dovetail: that is a really simple, good idea that hadn't occurred to me yet.
So far my first experience on this forum is a good one- now I'm going to go ask noob questions on the reloading part !