Good day at the range with the Rio Grande

Rossi's latest and past big game rifle based on the 336 frame!
Centaur 1
Founding Member
Founding Member

Good day at the range with the Rio Grande

Post by Centaur 1 »

Things are finally starting to click when it comes to using cast bullets in my rifles. The mold I'm using is the latest revision of the Ranch Dog 30 caliber bullet that Michael designed for the Rio Grande. I'm sizing the bullets to .312" and I'm using 20.0 grains IMR4198.

This target was shot with my Rossi at 50 yards. I shot the bottom group, readjusted the scope and then shot the upper group.

I shot this group using my Marlin 336SS, also at 50 yards. Same thing here, shot the bottom group then adjusted the scope.

I shot this group with my Remington 700BDL in 30-06. I loaded these with 25.0 grains IMR4198 and shot this group at 100 yards.
"We have federal regulations and state laws that prohibit hunting ducks with more than three rounds. And yet it's legal to hunt humans with 15-round, 30-round, even 150-round magazines." Senator Dianne Feinstein (D-California)
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Good day at the range with the Rio Grande

Post by akuser47 »

Nice
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Thanks for the report! It feels good to see the results in capable hands. GREAT shooting!
Michael
Centaur 1
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Centaur 1 »

Until now my results have been all over the place. I've learned that casting for rifles takes a lot more patience, and an eye for the details that are needed to improve from making good pistol bullets to making good rifle bullets. I feel like I have a good baseline load that shoots great, and now I can experiment with one thing at a time to see what will work and what won't. I've used several different powders that were recommended by others, but we all know that story, what works for one won't necessarily work for others. At least I now have 1 load each in 30-30 and 30-06 that works great in my three rifles. Prior to now I've tried IMR4895, Leverevolution, and Reloader 7. I haven't been able to locate any BL-C(2) which is the powder of choice at the Ranch Dog Ranch. Now that this last batch of bullets came out of the mold so much nicer than before, I want to revisit Leverevolution powder and maybe some CFE223. Both are ball powders that sit right next to BL-C(2) on the burn rate chart, and all three have similar max load weights. I even have some Varget that I can try also. I love experimenting as long as I have a known good configuration where everything works as desired. Guess I need to spend lots more time at the range, it's a sacrifice but I can handle it. +guns
"We have federal regulations and state laws that prohibit hunting ducks with more than three rounds. And yet it's legal to hunt humans with 15-round, 30-round, even 150-round magazines." Senator Dianne Feinstein (D-California)
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Def. Keep us posted ive been curious about both those powders.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Haven't used the LeveRevolution or Superformance (both joint ventures of Hornady & Hodgdon) powders yet but have used the 4895s & BL-C2 a lot.

Factory ammo gives me the < 3 MOA accuracy I need for my iron sighted leverguns so the presses have been dusting objects for a few years now.
We're talking 50 yard shots with the odd (very odd)100 yard shot across a creek or clearing at rather large targets like deer/elk/moose.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA