front sight quesiton

Rossi's latest and past big game rifle based on the 336 frame!
doskiez

front sight quesiton

Post by doskiez »

I have pretty much settled on a rear peep from Skinner sights. From my research this means I will need to swap out the front sight to a taller one. Which is just as well because the front sight FELL OFF THE GUN! one day as I was taking it out of the safe. I did not hit it on the side, did not bump it on another gun, it just FELL OFF.
That being said here is my dilemma. I am not a fan of the plain blade front sights that skinner offers. I hunt with both rifles and bows and I have always liked the peeps on my bows. The rear peep and the frame of the front sight (Round guard around the pins) line up almost perfectly allowing a good field of view and exceptional accuracy. This leads me to think that a globe type front sight with the round bore surrounding a small pin insert would offer a very similar sight picture.
Do any of you know of a good globe that will fit the factory rossi dovetail or do I need to modify the dovetail on the barrel to make a standard 3/8 dovetail globe fit? Or should I just get the blade site from skinner and call it good/ quit complaining.
Thanks in advance
Rio Grand .45-70
Many more guns, reloading equipment, etc etc.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: front sight quesiton

Post by Ranch Dog »

If your rifle is a Braztech, the dovetail is a standard 3/8 dovetail (at least as close as Rossi can cut it). So, any front sight that uses a 3/8 dovetail should work. Pay attention to the sight base forward of the dovetail as there might be interference with the front band as it is very close.

The barrel at the dovetail is also a very small radius so the small width the better. For instance the Marbles .340" base with the 3/8 dovetail is a very good radius fill. The wider bases look ridiculous as they extended beyond the radius of the barrel.
Michael
bueller66

Post by bueller66 »

my sight fell off too!!!! another Rossi thing!!!!!! just happy I found it!!!!
Tuco Ramirez
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Tuco Ramirez »

There have been a number of folks who have had the front sight fall off. The easy fix is shim it or pin it. The super duper easy fix is throw that front sight as far into the weeds as you can and scope it....... :lol:
When you have to Shoot; shoot, don't talk.......
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

bueller66

Post by bueller66 »

hahahahhahaaa!!!!!!!!! mine is a scattergun though! lol!
Tuco Ramirez
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Tuco Ramirez »

Than if you took my advise you will be in the weeds tonight with a flashlight looking for that front sight.... :oops:
When you have to Shoot; shoot, don't talk.......
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

doskiez

Post by doskiez »

Well I just pulled the trigger (So to speak) on a lyman #20 globe front sight and a skinner express for the rear. I will post pics when I get them installed and sighted in.
As if I needed another reason to go work on my gun range back stop. Maybe this and the warmer weather will get me off my butt and back on the tractor.
Rio Grand .45-70
Many more guns, reloading equipment, etc etc.
lovetohunt

Post by lovetohunt »

What is the trick to get the front sight to move. My Rio shoots about 3" to the left at 50 yards. I've tried drifting it with a punch and hammer and it wont budge. Do I just need to hit it harder?
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

lovetohunt wrote:What is the trick to get the front sight to move. My Rio shoots about 3" to the left at 50 yards. I've tried drifting it with a punch and hammer and it wont budge. Do I just need to hit it harder?
Yeah. Rossi uses a thread locker on sights and scope bases. Heat it with a hair dryer and then tap it out with the punch. Ideally, the punch would be brass.
Michael