Trigger safety block spring question

Rossi's latest and past big game rifle based on the 336 frame!
CHX77

Trigger safety block spring question

Post by CHX77 »

On my new RG3030SS, the trigger safety block spring seems very strong. I think it might be helping the lever open too easily, although I know other forces also act on the lever. My lever likes to open when I don't want it to, like when loading the magazine. I've read elsewhere about filing the lever plunger to change how it holds the lever closed, but I don't really want to make harder to open, just want it to stay closed better. Has anyone ever tweaked the trigger safety block spring to help this situation?
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Trigger safety block spring question

Post by Ranch Dog »

What I noticed while replacing all the springs on my R92s is that this part (which looks and functions a bit different that the RG/336), it's spring and the hole machined in the lever where very rough and very full of crud. I've made a note to go back through all of my rifles, including the RGs, and remove them and make sure their surfaces are flat and the movement is slick. That is where I would start, just remove it first. Clean it up and reinstall it.

All flat surfaces should be flat and the angles "sharp" and well defined. It is tough to know what to do with a spring other than replace it.
Michael
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by donhuff »

CHX77,

I too have had problems with the lever popping open while loading. But I have to blame myself with a big share of the cause. After dealing with the 92s and their over bearing spring pressures, I naturally assumed that the Rio would have the same problem. In some springs yes, but not on all of them. I figured that out AFTER I went into my Rio and took 1-2 coils off of every spring in it............That didn't work out so well. I now had a lot of misfires from weak primer strikes. I had to get a new spring to fix that one. That's how I learned that the Marlin 336 hammer spring is softer than the Rossi spring. Cause I got a marlin one from Numrich, and I still had a few misfires until I shimmed it with a few washers and stretched a few coils a little wider.

But I also clipped the finger lever plunger spring, thinking it would make the rossi smoooooooooth. And It did BUT, now like you, when I'm loading, the lever pops open.

Working off of your idea, and seeing how that trigger stop spring is so strong, I just took one of my 30/30 rio apart, and pried up on the trigger stop spring. Naturally, I went too far damit. So I took the trigger group out and tore it down to get the spring out. I bent it back a little at a time, until it was putting enough pressure on the trigger stop to just keep it down in place. Seems to be 1/2 to 3/4 as strong as it use to be. Then I took the lever plunger out and stretched it's spring a "good bit" and reassembled. It felt a lot better! So I tried loading it a few times and 18 rounds later, it has not popped open yet. I think I might have it about right. I'm gonna order a couple of new springs and replace my cut ones in this gun and my 45/70.

Try this and if it does not fix your's, get back to me and we'll try something else. I can see where filing a different angle on the lever plunger, would make it hold a little better, but it would all be trial and error. I'm wondering if the marlin part might work better as it sure "looks" a lot better than the rossi part, in the picture. https://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/406800B.htm
Don Huff

to bad those that know it all, cant do it all!
16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70
CHX77

Post by CHX77 »

Don, thanks for all the great info. I'd like to experiment with the trigger safety block spring also, but think I'll put quite a few more rounds through it before tweaking it.
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by donhuff »

Well the spring probably won't get any softer by it's self. And it's easy to bend back to where it was to begin with.I'd bend it next time I had it apart.
Don Huff

to bad those that know it all, cant do it all!
16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70