Took my New 45-70 Rio Grande out

Rossi's latest and past big game rifle based on the 336 frame!
olereb

Took my New 45-70 Rio Grande out

Post by olereb »

And the darn plastic garbage mad tube plug broke after 6 shots :evil: ,I had mounted a new Bushnell scope on her and had planned to give a range report but that will be awhile it seems. I'm calling to get a stainless plug and spring tomm so hopefully in the next couple weeks I will get her back out,my wife is having a baby the beginning of Feb so I'm trying to get all my gun stuff in this month since I know I wont be allowed to in Feb. The 6 rounds I did get to shoot were 350g non GC RD design boolits over 15grns of Unique,if your looking for a powder puff 45-70 load that's it. I can see it being a good plinking load but it did not have much kick at all,the 350g RD boolit I got from NOEbulletmolds and its a great bullet if your looking for a well made mold and a good design.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Took my New 45-70 Rio Grande out

Post by Ranch Dog »

olereb wrote:And the darn plastic garbage mad tube plug broke after 6 shots :evil: ,I had mounted a new Bushnell scope on her and had planned to give a range report but that will be awhile it seems. I'm calling to get a stainless plug and spring tomm so hopefully in the next couple weeks I will get her back out,my wife is having a baby the beginning of Feb so I'm trying to get all my gun stuff in this month since I know I wont be allowed to in Feb. The 6 rounds I did get to shoot were 350g non GC RD design boolits over 15grns of Unique,if your looking for a powder puff 45-70 load that's it. I can see it being a good plinking load but it did not have much kick at all,the 350g RD boolit I got from NOEbulletmolds and its a great bullet if your looking for a well made mold and a good design.
I know it is going to curb your shooting for a bit but congratulations on the baby in waiting! Hopefully, girl or boy, we will have another future Rossi Rifleman in our ranks!

Did you go with The Smithshop magazine spring and follower or something else?

I'm glad to hear that NOE is doing a good job!
Michael
olereb

Post by olereb »

Ranch Dog wrote:
olereb wrote:And the darn plastic garbage mad tube plug broke after 6 shots :evil: ,I had mounted a new Bushnell scope on her and had planned to give a range report but that will be awhile it seems. I'm calling to get a stainless plug and spring tomm so hopefully in the next couple weeks I will get her back out,my wife is having a baby the beginning of Feb so I'm trying to get all my gun stuff in this month since I know I wont be allowed to in Feb. The 6 rounds I did get to shoot were 350g non GC RD design boolits over 15grns of Unique,if your looking for a powder puff 45-70 load that's it. I can see it being a good plinking load but it did not have much kick at all,the 350g RD boolit I got from NOEbulletmolds and its a great bullet if your looking for a well made mold and a good design.
I know it is going to curb your shooting for a bit but congratulations on the baby in waiting! Hopefully, girl or boy, we will have another future Rossi Rifleman in our ranks!

Did you go with The Smithshop magazine spring and follower or something else?

I'm glad to hear that NOE is doing a good job!
I'm going with the Smith Shop spring and follower,i got tied up at work today though so I have to wait till Monday to call and order the parts. This one is going to be a girl which I already have pink camo clothes for,i'm determined that she is going to be into my hobby :D ,I also have a 3yr old boy that already has to be in the shop with me when I'm doing gun stuff. I'm teaching him early so we can go shooting soon as he's old enough,he already loves the leverguns and wants to know which one is his.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

olereb wrote: I'm going with the Smith Shop spring and follower,i got tied up at work today though so I have to wait till Monday to call and order the parts. This one is going to be a girl which I already have pink camo clothes for,i'm determined that she is going to be into my hobby :D ,I also have a 3yr old boy that already has to be in the shop with me when I'm doing gun stuff. I'm teaching him early so we can go shooting soon as he's old enough,he already loves the leverguns and wants to know which one is his.
Glad to hear you are including your kids! That is very important. My grandkids live on the ranch so I include them up until they throw in the towel.
Michael
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by donhuff »

Dang ole plastic crap.

I have a small lathe, so I make my own replacement mag tube followers. I use an old bolt that is a little bigger that the size I need and cut it down.

I'll have to try 15.0 Unique,(unique is my favorite powder) but I only have a 405g slug. I normally shoot it with 13.8g of 800X providing the push cause I have a lot of it. It may be a wimpy load, but man is it fun to shoot and very accurate. I dont hunt mooses nor deers but someday I might shoot an armadillo and I think that load will work just fine.
Don Huff

to bad those that know it all, cant do it all!
16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70