new guy, new RG3030SS

Rossi's latest and past big game rifle based on the 336 frame!
CHX77

new guy, new RG3030SS

Post by CHX77 »

I brought home a new RG3030SS yesterday, then found this forum. Thanks to all the great info found here, I took it all apart and gave it a good cleaning and lube. I did find a couple issues. Both sights were a loose fit in their dovetails and could be moved by hand. My preferred solution would be brass shim stock under the sights, but I didn't have the right thickness handy. I opted for a good cleaning and a drop of blue Loctite under the sights. It's holding well and hopefully it will allow drift adjustments if needed. I found a dent/burr in the magazine tube where screw #47 passes through the magazine ring #30. It wouldn't allow the magazine follower to be removed. A little time with a die grinder smoothed it out. Everything had a generous coating of cosmoline, or something similar. I guess that's better than rust. It sure is a good looking rifle, and I'm anxious to get it out and fire a few rounds.

I had originally intended to buy a Marlin 336C. All the older vintage Marlins I found were either in very rough shape, priced way too high, or located too far away to be able to inspect in person. Lately, I was starting to read better reviews of the new Remlins and set out to buy one. The store I went to yesterday had a 336C and a 336BL on display. The wood and metal finishes looked good, but both had their front sights canted to the left and the 336BL also had the rear sight canted to the right. I ran away from them and then looked at the Rossi. The sights were straight, it has nicer wood, and the finish on the stainless steel really caught my eye. It's maybe a little disappointing to have to correct issues on a brand new rifle, but I tend to agree with what others have posted here about rifles in this price range not being 100% ready to go right out of the box.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: new guy, new RG3030SS

Post by akuser47 »

CHX77 wrote:I brought home a new RG3030SS yesterday, then found this forum. Thanks to all the great info found here, I took it all apart and gave it a good cleaning and lube. I did find a couple issues. Both sights were a loose fit in their dovetails and could be moved by hand. My preferred solution would be brass shim stock under the sights, but I didn't have the right thickness handy. I opted for a good cleaning and a drop of blue Loctite under the sights. It's holding well and hopefully it will allow drift adjustments if needed. I found a dent/burr in the magazine tube where screw #47 passes through the magazine ring #30. It wouldn't allow the magazine follower to be removed. A little time with a die grinder smoothed it out. Everything had a generous coating of cosmoline, or something similar. I guess that's better than rust. It sure is a good looking rifle, and I'm anxious to get it out and fire a few rounds.

I had originally intended to buy a Marlin 336C. All the older vintage Marlins I found were either in very rough shape, priced way too high, or located too far away to be able to inspect in person. Lately, I was starting to read better reviews of the new Remlins and set out to buy one. The store I went to yesterday had a 336C and a 336BL on display. The wood and metal finishes looked good, but both had their front sights canted to the left and the 336BL also had the rear sight canted to the right. I ran away from them and then looked at the Rossi. The sights were straight, it has nicer wood, and the finish on the stainless steel really caught my eye. It's maybe a little disappointing to have to correct issues on a brand new rifle, but I tend to agree with what others have posted here about rifles in this price range not being 100% ready to go right out of the box.
I have used pop cans to use as shim stock it works well and does not corrode. I want a stainless rio or 92 some day so I can polish it up like chrome someday. Keep us posted
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by donhuff »

I take a punch with a sharp point and whack the barrel in the middle of the dovetail. Seems to work............most of the time.
Don Huff

to bad those that know it all, cant do it all!
16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70
CHX77

Post by CHX77 »

Well, the blue Loctite didn't hold as well as I would have liked so I cleaned it off and sacrificed a pop can for shim stock. If that doesn't hold, I might try raising some dimples on the bottom side of the sights with a punch. I'm leery of taking a punch to the barrel.

I just got done rubbing the first coat of linseed oil into the stock and it's looking better already. It's too cold out to go shooting, I was bored, and the pint bottle of linseed oil my dad bought in 1963 is still 1/3 full.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

I have a Rossi RG 30-30 which except for having a receiver/mag tube full of crud NIB has been giving me excellent service and is very accurate with the Hornady 160 grain FTX pointed nose ammo.
If you're rifle is as good as mine you're going to be very pleased.
I find double-boiled linseed oil & Tru-oil to be the best oil finishes going and really easy to apply. I just apply it right over the Rossi "shoe polish" factory finish and my rifles look great.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
kalboy

Post by kalboy »

donhuff wrote:I take a punch with a sharp point and whack the barrel in the middle of the dovetail. Seems to work............most of the time.
Hey chx77 congrats on the new RG and good job with your fix-its. The peening trick donhuff mentions above has worked well for many folks over the years if your Loctite fix should fall short.
Sometimes it may take more than one peen. Best of luck with your new gun!
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by donhuff »

I think that a picture would make it a little clearer.

The punch marks don't show much and the site will stay put.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don Huff

to bad those that know it all, cant do it all!
16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70
CHX77

Post by CHX77 »

Thanks for the picture Don. The shims I put under the sights are holding well so far.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Glad to hear your shimming is holding If you use just enough it can hold well. keep us posted
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!