Extractor Failure 410

Rossi's latest and past big game rifle based on the 336 frame!
bueller66

Re: Extractor Failure 410

Post by bueller66 »

I would buy another Rio....I really want a 30-30. And from all I have learned on this site and what I have learned from my 410....us boys can fix them and make them better than what Braztech would do....still no excuse for parts that need to be replaced that are restricted. I agree 100 % with ya there
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I'm trying to obtain an actual list from RossiUSA of what is restricted and what is not.
Michael
bueller66

Post by bueller66 »

That will be interesting I bet.....look forward to that info and thanks for doing that.
Des_Draws

Post by Des_Draws »

Thanks for the info on replacing the RG410 factory extractor with a Marlin 336 extractor.
I just got my RG4100SS back from Miami after a 2 1/2 month ordeal, took it to the range and found that the cheap low brass Fiocchi would not extract after firing. Winchester buck shot no problem.

My theory is low brass has more shell plastic occupying the throat. After firing the expansion make it hard for the cheesy factory extractor to pull it out. In every case I could pry it out from the breech end without much force. I was about to try filing or tweaking the extractor but decided to check here first. The Numrich part is on order. Many thanks

Are there any details on file to fit method for the factory extractor ? I am thinking of trying that first and if it breaks or doesn't work reliably and swap it for the Marlin.
bueller66

Post by bueller66 »

Ditch the factory extractor. You can tweak it all day and it will never work right. The Marlin extractor is a direct replacement. Mine works fine with all rounds however i have never used all brass...but i bet you a cold one it is gonna work! let me know...nice to see another 410 guy here!!!! i thought i was alone
bueller66

Post by bueller66 »

ooops low brass
bueller66

Post by bueller66 »

Why did you send it in to Miami????
Des_Draws

Post by Des_Draws »

The sear broke. After a few rounds I noticed it would fire if I cycled the lever without touching the trigger.
Kinda of like Lucas Mccain. Another thing was the trigger flop went from non existent to horrendous. Tore it apart saw the sear was broken and hanging by a thread. Braztech fixed it with a 2 1/2 month turn around.

Thanks for info on the extractor I will replace and post an update. One thing I was wondering about is the extractor engages a short angled section when the action is fully closed. Could this be messed up and that's why the extractor is going bad. The first 10 rounds were ok extraction wise. But since then it's been cycled maybe 500-600 times. I'll try to post a photo so you can see what I mean. When the action is closed the extractor is actually pushed away from the bolt center line and now is slightly bent. Maybe that's not relevant since it does extract snap caps and high brass.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

I think if you get the marlin extractor it will fix your issue as the rg's is so flimsy it is better.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Don't own a RG 410 but never had a problem with my RG 30-30s extractor or ejector...........drops em right at my feet each & every time kinda like my old long dead lab "Pal" used to do with ducks...........the gun has not jammed or failed to eject a single round to date.
I think the Rossis vary alot from gun to gun whether it be a RG or a 92 and the overall quality of new guns is not calibre specific........you either get lucky and get a good one or NOT.......that's why a thorough pre-purchase inspection is so important to shift the odds greatly in your favour and make buying a Rossi less of a crap-shoot.
I leave the lemons on the rack.
I've told dealers in the past about defective guns in their shop racks and haven't witnessed any overwhelming sense of urgency on the part of a single one of them to pull the gun off the rack so a future customer doesn't get stuck with it.
The rule of thumb is BUYER BE-AWARE. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA