45/70

Rossi's latest and past big game rifle based on the 336 frame!
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: 45/70

Post by Archer »

Pb2au wrote:In terms of accuracy, I've been curious to see how the Rio's in 45/70 do. The barrels look a little light for the venerable 45/70 gov, but it looks like I'm happily mistaken.
As for hunting, I have to agree about Ohio. At least where I hunt, if you have a shot over 50 yards, it is quite rare. Most of the hills and hollers I hunt are filled with these big things called trees. They are on steep hills, which are separated by brushy valleys.
My personal accuracy standard is about like Ranch Dog's. The only exception is for small game like ground hogs, but that is a different story.
I am seriously on the fence about a Rio in 45/70 or another M92 in 357 for the Misses. These threads are not helping. :D
This reminds me of a couple that came into the gunshop I hang out at. They were looking for an AR-10 receiver to build up in .308 for the woman because the man already had a 5.56 AR-15.

Using the same logic: Have you gotten a .45-70 Rio for the Misses yet?

I sold a fellow a .357 SS Rossi 92 at the end of last year through the shop. I saw him recently there and asked him if he'd shot the gun and how it was. He admitted he'd had it to the range twice and the first time just got to function test it. The second time however his wife nabbed it and spent a lot of time firing it so he didn't really get to use it. He may also NEED another .357 'for the wife' or maybe a .44 Mag or .45-70 for himself.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

donhuff wrote:...

Don't ya just hate brothers in law! I've had 9 of them (5 sisters and 1 sister in law) and I have only liked 2 of them!
Have only one BiL. I have to admit I don't really KNOW the man and I don't see that changing much since in 10 years I've probably had about half that many conversations with him and can't recall anything interesting about any of them. If it ain't team sports or rather simplified politics he has little or no interest. He jogs but has zero interest in biking unless his shin splints are acting up. As Foghorn Leghorn would say, "That boy's 'bout as sharp as a bowling ball".
Buckeye!

Post by Buckeye! »

I've owned several ,over a half a dozen Marlin 45/70 .in the past..but this Rossi is my favorite..light weight..narrow forearm...shoots well great balance..
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Buckeye! wrote:I've owned several ,over a half a dozen Marlin 45/70 .in the past..but this Rossi is my favorite..light weight..narrow forearm...shoots well great balance..
I'm with you Buckeye! I bought my RG4570 in the middle of the first hunting season that they were offered. At the end of the season I sold my 1895G. Compared to the Rossi, it seemed like a tank!
Michael