Feeding Issue with RG3030 - "letting in two"

Rossi's latest and past big game rifle based on the 336 frame!
licketysplitz

Feeding Issue with RG3030 - "letting in two"

Post by licketysplitz »

New to lever action rifles. Scoured this website before and after buying a RG in 30-30. I have done 2 full take downs and minimal fine tuning. On first take down I gave a thorough cleaning but it is possible I have missed something. I have been assuming the 45/70 and 30-30 actions are close enough that tips for one would apply to the other.

I have a feeding issue where the round in magazine seems to be coming back to far and keeping the carrier from coming up. Being new to these rifles I might be using incorrect keywords in search. Hoping someone can describe what is happening in better terms than I have been using so far.

I have run Federal .30-30 Winchester 150 Gr. Soft Point Flat Nose and Remington Core-lokt through the rifle with same feed issue arising.
WP_20131206_002.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by licketysplitz on 09 Dec 2013 22:47, edited 2 times in total.
balvenie

Re: Feeding Issue with RG3030

Post by balvenie »

Not to hijack but is that a pointed bullet in that cartrdge? I apologise if it is a gummy tip.
licketysplitz

Post by licketysplitz »

balvenie wrote:Not to hijack but is that a pointed bullet in that cartrdge? I apologise if it is a gummy tip.
Not a gummy tip. Pretty sure it is a 150\170gr remington core lokt.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Okay! For starters, are all the screws tight? Mainly I'm talking about the Trigger Guard Plate Screw (26) and the Trigger Guard Support Screw (27). Any chance either of these screws got swapped?

Also, It is common to turn these rifles on their side to look into the side ejection port. On it's side, a 336 action as all kinds of cycle issues.
Michael
licketysplitz

Post by licketysplitz »

Ranch Dog wrote:Okay! For starters, are all the screws tight? Mainly I'm talking about the Trigger Guard Plate Screw (26) and the Trigger Guard Support Screw (27). Any chance either of these screws got swapped?

Also, It is common to turn these rifles on their side to look into the side ejection port. On it's side, a 336 action as all kinds of cycle issues.
Ranch Dog wrote:Okay! For starters, are all the screws tight? Mainly I'm talking about the Trigger Guard Plate Screw (26) and the Trigger Guard Support Screw (27). Any chance either of these screws got swapped?

Tightness -- after reading a couple horror stories on this forum, I have been extra vigilant checking tightness of screws.

The plate screw was significantly longer than the support screw and would interfere with the action. Definitely possible I outsmarted myself during first reassembly. The longer of the two is installed as "26", the plate screw.

Aint gravity a booger! I keep rifles and shotguns on the shoulder when cycling, bolt\pump, as a habit.

I found a "jam" post for a 336 that matches what I am experiencing. It was described as a "two in the carrier". Title was "If Your 336 Jams, Read This Post".

Going to spend some time gazing through the ejection port with my spectacles on and wrap my head around the action before I touch tools.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

The forward end and sides of the carrier, the "horn", might need polishing. That would be my next look.
Michael
G8R8U2

Post by G8R8U2 »

balvenie wrote:Not to hijack but is that a pointed bullet in that cartrdge? I apologise if it is a gummy tip.

I also apologize for the hijack; but I have to agree with your question... isn't the loading of pointed bullets that aren't flex tip into a tubular magazine a far more pressing issue?
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

G8R8U2 wrote:

I also apologize for the hijack; but I have to agree with your question... isn't the loading of pointed bullets that aren't flex tip into a tubular magazine a far more pressing issue?
It has the potential of becoming an explosive issue.
I would suggest that the OP rethink loading rounds with hard spitzer-style bullets into a firearm with a tube magazine.
If that is not the case then I apologize.
Under recoil the hard pointed bullet tips will act as firing pins and fire the next cartridge in the column inside the magazine tube turning the gun into a deadly fragmentation grenade.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
licketysplitz

Post by licketysplitz »

I have only run Federal .30-30 Winchester 150 Gr. Soft Point Flat Nose and Remington Ex 150 gr. core-lokt in the rifle.

Looks pointy from that angle but it is not.
Des_Draws

Re: Feeding Issue with RG3030 - "letting in two"

Post by Des_Draws »

I have a RG410 that had similar issues. Certain rounds (shorter ones) would lever cycle ok initially . The gun had several other issues at the time so it went on a vacation in Miami. When it got back,I cleaned, polished and filed down the sharp edge, I cycled it maybe 600-700 time. When I first used Buck shot (Winchester) it would double feed almost every time. Pretty much as you describe. It would occasionally double feed shorter low brass which It didn't do earlier
I have heard of the "letting in two" type of Marlin jam.

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/jams- ... -post.html

I tried several of the methods mentioned in the Marlin forum post, I did cut a few coils off the mag tube spring, which it needed anyway, but experiments showed me decreasing the tension would help somewhat but not completely eliminate the jam, and too little tension can cause other problems. What finally seems to work is tweaking the carrier so that the feeding end is bent slightly up toward the bore. This is more of a gunsmith task, but another post :

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/jams- ... rrier.html

Let me to believe I could do it. I used the exact method described -the photo included said a thousand words Use a vice , heat sink and brace the carrier, get a reference measurement, heat it ... not red hot.. sizzling hot -I used a propane solder torch, Go slow . When I could detect some amount bending I stopped, put the gun together and tested it. In two trials I bent the nose somewhere around .010-020 inches, I used a caliper. I think a feeler gauge would also work. So far cycles both longer and shorter rounds even with a full magazine. I may need to do it again a little more. Fairly easy to do. Your mileage may vary, I may have gotten lucky. I was willing to lose a carrier to learn something and possibly get the gun usable quickly.