What to do with my Marlins?

Rossi's latest and past big game rifle based on the 336 frame!
wallythacker

What to do with my Marlins?

Post by wallythacker »

I have two Rio Grande in 45/70 and each one was under $500. I bought a new Marlin 1895GS and it was $750.

All these rifles are sweet. The Rossi rifles had slicker actions but my Marlin is getting there with use.

To my dilemma.

I really want a Marlin 1895SBL, stainless big loop. It's so sweet with a laminated stock and picatinny rail and a barrel and magazine the same length. They are expensive. $1000-1100 new. Or the price of two Rio Grandes.

I'm trying to figure out which rifle, Marlin or Rossi, can handle the stoutest stuff. Just holding my Marlin and looking at the metal in the receiver and bolt and locking lugs and barrel thickness it seems obvious the Marlin is more stout. (Marlin barrel material is about twice the Rossi material at the muzzle. How or if that continues down the barrel to the receiver I don't know.)

Buffalo Bore says it's OK to use their ammo in a Rio Grande. I was surprised to read that. IIRC that means Buffalo Bore is loading to 35k pressure. I went over to the Garret site to find he loads for 35k max. pressure as well but Garret was specific and said to use their ammo in a modern Marlin 1895 ONLY. No Rossi.

All of this is partly why I bought molds and a furnace and plan to cast my own. I don't see any reason why I can't load to the same levels as Buffalo and Garret using a modern book.

I have to pare down my fleet, but I can acquire more levers if I ditch some semi autos. I could have a fleet of nothing but lever actions if I wanted. Sorry. I digress.

Writing this has helped me a lot. I realize levers are my first love, along with 9/40 semi autos. ( A weird combo, but it is what it is.) I'm going to save up for a Marlin SBL. At that point there's no gaps, I've got my Marlin 45/70 levers, My Rossi 45/70 levers and my Rossi .44 and .45 levers. (I don't shoot .45LC but managed to get consecutive serial Rossi stainless .45LC)

I will be in brown bear territory next spring and summer. By then I should know if the Marlin or Rossi is more reliable with hot loads and second shots. I know both will deliver the first shot, it's the followup that determines if you live or get eaten. +guns
Rooster59
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: What to do with my Marlins?

Post by Rooster59 »

The GS barrel may be larger at the muzzle due to barrel taper and the fact it is shorter than the RG. If you measure both at the same distance from the receiver they are likely much closer to the same diameter.
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me." Willard Duncan Vandiver
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: What to do with my Marlins?

Post by pricedo »

wallythacker wrote: I know both will deliver the first shot, it's the followup that determines if you live or get eaten. +guns
Hmmmmm :?: :?: :?:
Don't mean to be obtuse or argumentative but I'd be making sure that first shot counted........after that you have a really big, mad & bad animal charging you at 30 mph if you botched the shot.
When a bear is charging it is hard to hit and those big shoulder muscles can soak up a lot of lead. If you're not good/lucky enough to make a spine shot you're not going to stop him. He might die eventually but the ravens will be picking at your dead & rotting body before that happens.
You have to anchor 900 pounds of peeved off muscle, teeth & claws before it kills you.......the operative word being before.
Second & subsequent shots are wishful thinking and if you, the gun and the round you're using did the job right the first time shouldn't be necessary.
Take it from a long in the tooth old prospector/geologist/mining engineer who has lived & worked in the wilderness all over North America....if you want to be around to blow out the candles on future birthday cakes (posthumous birthdays are so sad :cry: ) focus your thinking, training & resources on first shot kills when dealing with the great bears.

Getting back to your statement.......the only tenable followup is the bears dead body hitting the ground from a properly placed first shot with an adequate round.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA