Humble Pie

Rossi's latest and past big game rifle based on the 336 frame!
balvenie

Humble Pie

Post by balvenie »

Readers might recall me saying the feeding issues were a thing of the past in "Hi From Queensland" under Introductions.
Well, I spoke too soon. It seemed to work well and I tried a few magazines of dummy ammo but it did not last and in retrospect, when it righted itself it did so, without any real input from me. That was my warning it seems. Something for nothing.
To go back to the beginning, the loading gate would open on the forward stroke of the lever, say about 1/32". It was hanging up somewhere and it seemed to have rotated up, around its little fixing screw, towards the ejection port. Freeing it up involved pushing it back down. Initially it looked like it had ridden over a ledge, machined into the inside of the receiver but bright marks on the upside of the opening in the receiver for the loading gate, meant that that could also be involved.
To cut a long story short, the gate was reinstalled without fully tightening its screw and so far it has not hung up, feeding without hesitation.
In the opinion of the forum, is it cured or is it another Fluke :?: To put it another way, I don't really understand how this has worked. I can see no reference to this particular problem on MO or this forum and wonder if it is right this time. Doubts persist. For instance, is the screw really meant to be a little loose for the loading gate to snap shut when the lever is swung back to the grip?
I have neglected to detail the mechanics of the jam. When the LG is jammed open, the cartridge lifter under it, cannot rise to carry the cartridge up to the bolt. The jammed-open LG is in its way.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Humble Pie

Post by Ranch Dog »

balvenie wrote:To cut a long story short, the gate was reinstalled without fully tightening its screw and so far it has not hung up, feeding without hesitation.
In the opinion of the forum, is it cured or is it another Fluke :?:
I would think is is cured. I can also see how the problem would manifest itself with the screw loose.
Michael
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by donhuff »

So...have you tried it with the screw retightened?
It should work with it tight.
Don Huff

to bad those that know it all, cant do it all!
16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70
cstone

Post by cstone »

People have told me for years that I have a screw loose :lol:

Glad to hear you fixed your issue. I'm sure it is just in time to deal with another issue on a different gun :mrgreen:

What willl we all do when they all work perfectly and all of our ammunition is loaded?
adepto super vestri ego